Strongest Wire Saw??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Random question

Can anyone vouch or offer personal opinion of the STRONGEST wire saw they have handled.

I don't want a cheap copy that will break under strain.

TIA

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Old chainsaw chain with a couple of ring pulls from the old smoke grenades.

I can caution against the web-tex saws, it snapped while sawing a bit of birch about the thickness of a wrist.

yeah thanks , the Chainsaw chain isn't going to be feasible for the purpose I intended.

But thanks for the heads up ref the Web-Tex copy.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Ah, apologies, are you after a saw for a survival tin type affair then?

No need for apologies Sir, Just need the 'bone saw' flexible surgical type.

Not for a Survival Tin per se - but yes that type of thing.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I certainly wouldn't recommend the braided type BCB wire saws - snapped tens of them over the years, many the first time of using them....

I can imagine . cutting through an empty toilet roll would probably be difficult for them.

I wondered what brand of saw are included in Military Aviators **** kits

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
I can imagine . cutting through an empty toilet roll would probably be difficult for them.

I wondered what brand of saw are included in Military Aviators **** kits

I was issued the BCB ones as part of the official survival kits! That was almost 10 years ago though, so things may have changed.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I was issued the BCB ones as part of the official survival kits! That was almost 10 years ago though, so things may have changed.

Official in what sense? Were you serving in a potentially high risk PTC position?

And it obviously begs the next question if you used the Saw?

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Yes, that's true. The kits in the squadron stores had the BCB saws (along with other curious things including fishing kits, 'matchless fire kits', and massive magnifying glasses!) in these black PVC canvas wallets. I went on a couple of courses where we were issued out kits at the start from the survival schools in Newquay and elsewhere, and they had the BCB saws too. That said, i am assuming they were BCB branded - they looked identical to the saws that i had purchased myself that were all BCB. On one of the courses we were all supposed to make bow saws out of a bent bit of hazel and the issue wire saws. I seem to recall that many didn't even take the tension of the wood and broke then and there. Most of the rest just snapped when they were used (mine always let go where the bit of crimped metal holds the braided wire to the rings/handle).

Reactions: TeeDee

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE