Stroll through a misty wood

Well...due to atmoshperic conditions the painted pieces wouldn't dry quick enough to get a second coat on so I had to knock work off a couple hours early today. However on the drive home it dawned on me that it was a perfect day for a stroll through the woods, and, thankfully mother nature was kind enough as to keep the rained slowed to barely more than a fine mist for a couple of hours so I could take some pictures.

PICT0396.jpg

PICT0400.jpg

PICT0403.jpg

PICT0407.jpg

PICT0409.jpg

A smiling tree?
PICT0410.jpg

PICT0413.jpg

PICT0371.jpg

PICT0381.jpg

PICT0383.jpg

PICT0386.jpg

PICT0414.jpg

PICT0420.jpg

PICT0421.jpg

PICT0427.jpg

PICT0428.jpg

PICT0450.jpg

PICT0446.jpg

PICT0448.jpg

PICT0471.jpg

PICT0442.jpg

PICT0454.jpg

PICT0464.jpg

PICT0480.jpg

PICT0479.jpg

PICT0478.jpg

Thanks all. Many seem think the fogs and mists are eerie and spooky. Maybe it's because I grew up out there in the woods and have spent most of my life there...or maybe now it's partly from a confidence of the knowledge that I am equally as dangerous...,if not much more so, than anything I am going to run across out there, but I have delighted in wondering through misty woods since a was a small child. To me I, for a time enter into a Tolkienesque world where I feel utterly at home.

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
All depends on your upbringing.

To me who started jungle walks at about 8 it is a place of quiet and serene beauty. Not a sleepless moment due to fear of snakes, tigers or elephants.

Yet when I did a two day walk across Exmoor in the sw of England, in early April, I walked at night

"Like one, that on a lonely road
Doth walk in fear and dread,
And having once turn'd round, walks on
And turns no more his head:
Because he knows, a frightful fiend
Doth close behind him tread."

It was okay in the day time though:D

Spot on..., in that jungle I would have many a tense moment at least at first I'm sure. My first few nights in the Everglades were more than just a little sleepless. But here...I was sent into those woods every Autumn and Winter with a shotgun to bring home game from age six..., (my brother and I still wonder aloud if they had life insurance on us or what with some of the things they had us do lol) I know the life forms in the woods around here so well I have no fear at any time. I know areas that are better respected and not crossed at night but I don't fear anything here.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Spot on..., in that jungle I would have many a tense moment at least at first I'm sure. My first few nights in the Everglades were more than just a little sleepless. But here...I was sent into those woods every Autumn and Winter with a shotgun to bring home game from age six..., (my brother and I still wonder aloud if they had life insurance on us or what with some of the things they had us do lol) I know the life forms in the woods around here so well I have no fear at any time. I know areas that are better respected and not crossed at night but I don't fear anything here.

"Knowledge removes fear", a very true statement in my view, I think RM said it once too. The quote above qualifies that statement and "areas that are better respected and not crossed at night " shows good use of the knowledge.
Your photo's are very atmospheric thanks for sharing them.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Beautiful Mistwalker :D

Looks like the morning mist just didn't lift.
Funny how fog turns known places into something kind of ooh :theyareon , isn't it?

That fine rain we call smirr. It gets you every bit as wet, but it doesn't kind of bludgeon you into drookitness quite so relentlessly as the pouring down stuff :rolleyes:

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE