Strings for musical instruments

OldFingersGreen

Forager
Jan 30, 2009
Manchester
possibly silk? not really sure, i assume anything that could be used as a bow string could be used as an instrument string?

handy tip, steel guitar strings make excellent snares as they have a small metal ring on one end which acts as the slip knot and hold the snare shape perfectly.

Jan 22, 2006
uk
it was gut, lambs gut was often used - i think i've read that it was castrated lambs gut...not sure why they should be castrated.... i think it would cause my guts to be wound up pretty tight tho!

WhichDoctor

Nomad
Aug 12, 2006
Shropshire
Aren't violin strings still called catgut? I seem to remember that.

I would love to know if anyone has made musical strings and what they used.

Chris G

Settler
Mar 23, 2007
Cheshire
99.9% sure that you can still get cat gut (if you really want) from your better than average local musical instrument shops. The best shops are a cross between Arkwrights store and Aladins cave!

Chris

Jan 22, 2006
uk
i dont think 'catgut' is actually made from cat's, its usually sheep.

the word catgut comes from some thing else as far as I remember,
(one of those misnomers that catch always the QI panel out)

horse hair bows are still used, and I've seen instruments with what semed like skin made into twine, although it was a poor version of a string!

I havent seen tendons used, although it would seem to make sense...

aint nothing going to compare to a proper modern string though!!

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
i dont think 'catgut' is actually made from cat's, its usually sheep.

the word catgut comes from some thing else as far as I remember,
(one of those misnomers that catch always the QI panel out)

horse hair bows are still used, and I've seen instruments with what semed like skin made into twine, although it was a poor version of a string!

I havent seen tendons used, although it would seem to make sense...

aint nothing going to compare to a proper modern string though!!

You are spot on, QI Episode 11

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_QI_episodes_(B_series)

it was gut, lambs gut was often used - ...

Recently I watched a programme about hand made violing strings. Yes - I think it was lamb gut, it was cleaned, turned inside out, and then the wall was split away from the rest of the small intestine. This wall was then split into set widths, and depending on the size of string required, the number of strands twisted varied from (if I remember correctly) 4 for the finest to 8 or more for the lower strings. These strands were then tied to a frame which had a revolving hook at one end, and the gut was twisted a set number of times, left to dry in that position and then cut away sanded to final size and shape (to make them smooth and round) and trimmed to length to make the violin strings.

It was exceedingly interesting. A hugely time-consuming process, and I now no longer resent the price I'd have to pay for them!

The person making them was French I think,

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE