strike a lite

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

grumit

Settler
Nov 5, 2003
guernsey
i reasently found an old metal srike a lite under the floor of the farm
my boss brought and would like to know what i can use it with as we do
not have flint over here like you do in england

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Any hard quartz type stone should work - falling that Iron pyrites - falling that I'd say your in the land of experimentation.

If the steel is there it was obviuosly used but was probably part of a tinder box popular in the 1800's and this would have come (from the main land) as a kit - tin, flint, steel and phosperous match.

Let us know if you find anything usual that the steel works with.

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
if you want to pm me your address, i'll post you a small lump of flint harvested from the M4/A34 junction, whilst sat at traffic lights with the road works :lol:

we don't get much here in gloucestershire either.

cheers, and.

grumit

Settler
Nov 5, 2003
guernsey
thanks for all the answers i would post a picture but just given it to
local museum who talled me almost the same things

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
anyone wants any flints just send me an e-mail or pm. I live in hampshire where they're known locally as hampshire diamonds! we have flint nodes everywhere there is chalk and i'm at the western edge of the south downs.may have to ask for postage as they are very heavy.a 25 gallon drum full weighs about a tonne. the farmers now charge 300 quid a tonne to the local builders. Justifies the name of diamonds! :wink:

al

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
kent
we have massive flints in kent and a flint wall outside my house which is well handy, quick slap with the old hammer and its sorted :-D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE