Stream water is brown. Continue or abort?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
NT 15444 60355 (Ordnance Survey coordinates)

I have collected water from near the origin of a stream near the top of a hill in the Pentland Hills. I filtered it through a squashed up flannel into a bottle and I'm ready to add a sterilising tablet but the water is yellow or brown, not unlike concentrated urine. Is it safe to continue with this water? I'm pretty sure all the water I've seen around here has this tint. I was expecting it to be clear. Where ever could this endless supply of brown come from?

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Could be Tannins?

Tannins are natural organic matter that can result from nature's fermentation process as water passes through the ground in peaty areas or through levels of decaying vegetation. Tannins are typical found in shallow wells, in swampy or marshy areas as well as coastal areas.

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Iron? We have a stream near me where the water is clear but almost orange due to iron deposits. Probably won't do you any harm so long as it's been sterilized

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE