Strange Sounds in the Night

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Living as I do in a Nesting box I am very close to nature.

I hear all sorts of things in the night, and if they are unfamilar they keep me up until I am used to them.

(Such as the sea.)

This time its a metallic churring. Oddly soothing (but until I get used to it wont lull me to sleep...)

I suspected a Nightjar, and recordings online confirmed it.

I suppose I should be honoured but at the moment I want my sleep (Exams comming up)

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
you seem to have identified it, however just to be sure the grasshopper warbler sings through the night with a high pitched consistent churring sound, often described as insect like song hence the name of the bird. I hear them often in the night.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Some sounds I grew up with are soothing to me: crickets chirping, trains (I grew up next to a railroad) whippoorwills (I think this is a species of what you're calling "nightjars") rain on the roof, etc.

Last edited:

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
I was repeatedly woken by an unfamiliar call in the night; an eerie whistling call. It was very irregular and often I would lie awake listening for it, but it wouldn't happen again. I Googled night birds but nothing seemed quite like this. One night I was dozing while wifey read a book. Then I heard it: Mournful and distant like a piper's last breath. I immediately sat up. "Did you hear that?" I asked. "What?" she replied "That whistly snoring noise you keep doing?"!!!

Z

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE