Strange shape for a tree

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mad Mike

Nomad
Nov 25, 2005
Maidstone
In the woods in the rain this afternoon & I spotted a small chestnut tree going around a few bends...

BowSaw1.jpg

Not so easy to see on the picture as the flash caught the rain. The stem comes up out of the ground & then goes through 3 near right angles, across, down & then away int a sweeping curve.

What would you make out of this?

As I happened to have a chainsaw in my other hand & I cut it off &n trimmed after the sweeping curve.

About 20 minutes at home (mostly searching for stuff) I Had produced this

BowSaw2.jpg

The blade came plastic wrapped over cardboard so I have left the teeth covered until 1st use. Just a couple of slits with a constrictor knot above, & 2 old nails pushed through drilled holes. Had the lean on it quite hard to bend to length for the blade.

Apart from running a knife over some lumps in the bark That was it. the string will get trimmed but I want to be able to tighten the knots if required.

Anyone else found any naturally grown tools?

Mike

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
I came across exactly the same in beech yesterday, much thicker than yours.
It seemed to follow me home and is now in the workshop trying to disguise itself as a ladle in making.
Good find mate.

Mad Mike

Nomad
Nov 25, 2005
Maidstone
I came across exactly the same in beech yesterday, much thicker than yours.
It seemed to follow me home and is now in the workshop trying to disguise itself as a ladle in making.
Good find mate.

Trees are good at growing ladles. Mine used to be an 'elbow' in a thick birch branch. The spatula was from a straight bit.

Took a LOT longer than the bow saw. Hope yours goes well.

Ladle1.jpg

Ladle2.jpg

Ladle3.jpg

This was left to dry for months half way through as some splits developed. Fortunately they didn't go too far.

Mike

pilotlight

Jan 7, 2012
Northumberland
isn't it caused by a fungal infection or insect attack? there is a tree in our local wood nearly bent double on itself. It's a good size tree 12-15ft and looks rather bizzare.

nice saw by the way. why don't make a proper blade protector from leather?

wildranger

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 29, 2011
Ireland
Can I just ask a question about the bow-saw? After the curved piece of wood dries out, does it not take a set in that position and stop exerting an outward pulling force on the blade, thereby reducing the tension on the blade? It has me puzzled!

Mad Mike

Nomad
Nov 25, 2005
Maidstone
Can I just ask a question about the bow-saw? After the curved piece of wood dries out, does it not take a set in that position and stop exerting an outward pulling force on the blade, thereby reducing the tension on the blade? It has me puzzled!

Wood will take a set when left under load, some more than others. The saw is almost the natural grown shape, I only forced it about 1.5 inches. Also this is still in it natural round shape and not a finely tuned long bow which you would unstring when not in use. I think a more likely problem is if it twists while drying & puts a twist in the blade. We shall see.

Mike

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE