Strange Fungi and a plant ID please :)

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Hey all,

Very new to this so help please on the two pics below :)

Thanks in advance.

DSC00099.jpg

DSC00097.jpg

DSC00095.jpg

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
The bottom one looks like Mahonia, dont know the top one though.

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
I think (think being the operative word!) that the funghi is an egg stage (before the fruit body has erupted) Stinkhorn mushroom (phallus impediccus?). Does it smell strongly? A smell of vinegar and rotting meat would indicate the stinkhorn... but then again im not sure if it does before it fruits.
Damn think ive given you more questions than answers there but oh well :D

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
The top one is the early 'egg' start of the fallus impudicus. In this stage with all the goo inside thhey are meant to be edible. Never tried it, but I know of two 'eggs' in my local forest and was going to try it.

In this stage, the smell is absent.. :)

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
fallus impudicus ace !

I did see a few in the later "anne summers" stage so i think thats a safe bet :) It did not smell and looked allmost like a puff ball whilst half covered but when i plucked it i noticed it was very heavy. When i sliced it it had a kind of white thin allmost latex skin with a layer of slime and then pretty much what you see there.

Didnt look that edible though unless you like that gone off egg look :yuck:

Thanks all..

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
'Anne-summers' stage, lmao :lmao: !
Yeah I read there edible too and are an aphrodesiac altho I imagine thats more to do with there *ahem* unusual shape ;)

xylaria

The top one is the early 'egg' start of the fallus impudicus. In this stage with all the goo inside thhey are meant to be edible. Never tried it, but I know of two 'eggs' in my local forest and was going to try it.

In this stage, the smell is absent.. :)
I found some a few months ago, they have a common name of witches eggs. i pick some with idea of eating them and chickened out because they look like eye balls.

The oragan grape (mahona) fruit are suppose to be edible.

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
I think you can eat the fruit from the Mahonia, and I seem to remember, not too sure, that the flower petals are edible as well. Can't remember where I read it though, I will have to have a look.

combatblade1

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 1, 2007
"I won't have a Spydi"
I think you can eat the fruit from the Mahonia, and I seem to remember, not too sure, that the flower petals are edible as well. Can't remember where I read it though, I will have to have a look.

Yes you can eat the fruit from the oregon grape although it is very acidic. It makes a great jelly goes well with game or even on bread with peanut butter.

Chester`C

Sep 6, 2007
Hull
Also known as witches egg, this fungus feels soft due to the jelly like layer just beneath the skin. This later splits at the apex and a thick white stem (erection/ ann summers stage ;) ) emerges with a polystyrene like texture bearing a wrinkled, conicle, slimy green topped with a small white ring. At this stage it smells like bad drains attracting flys which eat the spores leaving a honey comb type head

3-5cm in diameter

found among leaf litter in the woods and in gardens

early summer to late autumn

you can eat it at the egg stage but NOT when it starts smelling bad

the egg stage is extremly like puffball

has a cousin called the dog stink horn which looks remarkably like a dogs penis :)
but too small to be worth eating about 2-3cm

the above quoted from Collins Gem Mushrooms just to clarify for people

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE