Storm Lamps

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Hi

I'm looking for a storm lamp, is Tilley the brand of choice? if so who's selling them.

I'd prefer something that works with paraffin not gas.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Are you gonna go for the wick tilley, ot the hurricane lamp, pressurised with a mantle? The hurricane will bang out a lot more light, and a bit of heat aswell!!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Funnily enough Tilley do.
http://www.tilleylamp.co.uk/
That said, my brother bought two unused, still in the greased wax wrappings, ex-army ones for about half the going price of the new ones. About 6 months ago on ebay. I'll see if I can find the seller's name, etc.
I'm fond of the Tilley hurricane lamps, the workshops were lit with them when I was a child and we always took one with us when we went camping or out with the boats.

atb,
mary

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
spamel said:
Are you gonna go for the wick tilley, ot the hurricane lamp, pressurised with a mantle? The hurricane will bang out a lot more light, and a bit of heat aswell!!

Pressurised with a mantle, it looks like theres only the one model of tilley these days and that uses a mantle.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Toddy said:
Funnily enough Tilley do.
http://www.tilleylamp.co.uk/
That said, my brother bought two unused, still in the greased wax wrappings, ex-army ones for about half the going price of the new ones. About 6 months ago on ebay. I'll see if I can find the seller's name, etc.

Hi Mary

Theres a few on ebay right now, no spectacular bargains though :(

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Just spoken to my brother and he said that it was Bialaddin lamps that he bought.
The civvi version is called Vapalux.
I've tried to find his link and I think is sounds like base-camp.co.uk
I know of another make, Veritas, too. We used them in the scouts a looooong time ago :rolleyes:
No idea which is best, I've used them all and found no problems if you pay attention when setting them up, and clean them thoroughly occasionally.
Good kit, a really good light and warm too :D
I've got two in need of some work in the shed (been there about ten years or so :eek: ) might be time to do something about the sorry state of them.

atb,
Mary

Andy J

Forager
Oct 28, 2006
north wales
Hello folks, just a quick note. I bought a second hand Tilley from a charity shop £20, but more interestingly, I spoke with the people at Tilley regarding spares I needed, and the staff were amazing, really helpfull and knowledgeable. Told me what spares I needed and how to fit them, saving me having to buy a service pack. Highly recomended. Give them a try, Thanks, Andy

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Toddy said:
Just looked more closely at your location.
Budapest :eek: :D when did that happen ?

atb,
Mary

I've been living there since last July, however am back in the UK being bolted back together having had a wee accident with a snow scooter :(

Will be heading back to Buda at the end of April, great place, lots of nice woods :)

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Andy J said:
Hello folks, just a quick note. I bought a second hand Tilley from a charity shop £20, but more interestingly, I spoke with the people at Tilley regarding spares I needed, and the staff were amazing, really helpfull and knowledgeable. Told me what spares I needed and how to fit them, saving me having to buy a service pack. Highly recomended. Give them a try, Thanks, Andy

This makes some of the older units on ebay more attractive, thanks :)

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I used the coleman lamp, presurized with two mantles, when I used to go to Norway on exercise(with the Army) Excellent proven bit of kit that bangs out loads of light and loads of heat, it runs on unleaded fuel / Coleman fuel.

I would highly recommend this, I'm thinking about buying one for myself depending on requirements!:)

andy_pevy

Tenderfoot
May 5, 2006
Sandhurst
sandbender said:
Hi

I'm looking for a storm lamp, is Tilley the brand of choice? if so who's selling them.

I'd prefer something that works with paraffin not gas.

I use one of these :- http://tinyurl.com/28gv8n

This lamp is a copy of the Petromax, which is a German design that dates back a long way.

It runs on paraffin, and puts out loads of light and heat, apparently it is the equivalent of a 400W light bulb.

I have a Tilley as well, but it is a pain to have to bring the meths and a bottle with the pre-heater torch as well.

I have no connection with the company in the link apart from being a satisfied customer.

Andy

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Welcome back, Andrew.

I havea veritas and it is good but a bit temperamental. After 40 years the leatrher washers on the pump have dried a bit. Interestingly the mantle is strikingly radioactive when tested with the Geiger counter.

When I was in India every stall had a 'Petromax' - actually an Indian made copy of the German original.

Although a wick hurricane lamp is not nearly so bright, it is rather more reliable. The Feuerhand is far superior to the cheap Chinese ones and is still available from Pellam. They are new with tags and in wrappings, but stamped West Germany - so presumably not of recent manufacture.

Pellam are a good shop and ship from Germany. http://www.pelam.de/index.php?cPath=28_40

Greg said:
I used the coleman lamp, presurized with two mantles, when I used to go to Norway on exercise(with the Army) Excellent proven bit of kit that bangs out loads of light and loads of heat, it runs on unleaded fuel / Coleman fuel.

I would highly recommend this, I'm thinking about buying one for myself depending on requirements!:)

Would they heat up a tent or tipi do you think?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE