Storing equipment

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
Indeed they are not, I have been caught out by that. The definition literally of a rodent is something with big teeth that can eat through plastic.

There is a reason why people store animal feed in steel bins and drums! I’m not entirely sure that my treasured aluminium zarges boxes would be completely resistant to rodent gnashers.

As others have suggested, making sure the contents are as dry and clean as possible would help reduce the attraction but any animal that chews electric cables for fun is difficult to second guess.

A friend had the canvas of an expensive 4x4 rooftent nibbled while being stored in his garage so I am a bit paranoid but condensation and mould are probably more serious concerns. I store a lot of canvas and woolen camping gear (way too much to box up) overwinter in an insulated outdoor building and keep a dehumidifier running 24/7 there are numerous mouse traps dotted around.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Because they have down or insulation in them, and so you kinda need to treat them the way you do sleeping bags. I have 3 exped mats, and I treat them with the same storage care as I do my sleeping bags. You also want to control the humidity inside the bag so that you don't get mould growing inside (hence the inflation bag thingy exped include with their mats).

J

Hi,
How do you store you sleeping bags in the shed or garage ? What to do that with mine too bulky in the house now

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Hi,
How do you store you sleeping bags in the shed or garage ? What to do that with mine too bulky in the house now
The best way to store them is to hang them so the insulation keeps its "loft." Most of us don't have the room for that though and I'll be watching here for suggestions as well.

Fluffydave

Jan 29, 2014
Croydon, Uk
Another vote for Really Useful Storage Boxes here. I have 8 of them so far and seem to be accruing a new one at a rate of one a year :) I've never had any problems and my garage isn't exactly water tight. I do keep the sleeping bags and thermarests indoors all year round in my airing cupboard though.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Sleeping bags are kept loosely bunched together on top of a wardrobe.
Clothes items in wardrobe.
Other stuff on shelves, taken apart.
I am lucky as I have a dedicated small room for my hiking and fishing gear plus guns, ammo and shooting gear.
Same in our holiday house, but no shooting stuff there.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Remember that most organic materials contain a certain % of water. Remove this and the item can get damaged.
Of course, too much humidity and you get mold.
Hence my sleeping bags are kept airy.

Personally I only use those silica containing sachets in my gun safes. I also store the ammo in those safes and those benefit most from a dry environment.
The ammo kept in the bedroom I only keep there for 3 months, then use it on the range.
Very anal, but if I have to use it, it has to work....
( we have 44% relative humidity in the house at all times)

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
You can but, particularly if its a down one, that would likely hurt it. Keep them hung, as mentioned, or loosely bagged and on top of the wardrobe, under the bed etc.

Reactions: Janne

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
More for my snugpak or non down bags. But after wrote this did a little research and its going in a big pillow case or duvet cover on top of the wardrobe

Problem with that now is keeping moths out ?

Chomp

Tenderfoot
Jan 17, 2018
Round the back skivving
Hi,

I keep mine in the loft unbagged. A few are put over other stuff to keep them lofted but a couple are just 'tossed' away from the access hatch, better than being bagged. I do have a cheap down bag sat in a rucksack but its easily fluffed up when used (its my go to sleeping bag when out, especially this time of year).

I've nothing to back this us so don't take it as gospel but I've got bags that are well past their 'use by' date that work fine, maybe old and smelly but they still keep me warm.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
More for my snugpak or non down bags. But after wrote this did a little research and its going in a big pillow case or duvet cover on top of the wardrobe

Problem with that now is keeping moths out ?

Moffs eat evrytthing organic, but I don't think they'd eat a Snugpak. Mind, Monsanto may have designed one to do just that by now.

Reactions: Janne

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
Can you vacuum pack sleeping bags ?

No, never. Its kills the loft, and thats essentially whats keeping you warm, and what you've paid for.

A big stuff sack (or, as the author of Dont Forget the Duct Tap says, even just a large old pillow case) will be fine. A decent brand sleeping bag might even come with their own storage bag (my ME one does, and the TNF ones in TKMaxx recently did), but if not, a large drawstring bag from ebay, etc is fine, even if its in nylon or polyester - I have something a bit like this, which I bought years back from TKMaxx. You can also buy proper ones, in mesh or cotton.

Something that lets the bag air out, to stop any moisture getting trapped is best, hence mesh or cotton, but if the bag is bone dry, then as long as it can loft a bit, and keeps off the dust, etc, fine. And then store it somewhere dry, out of the way.

I do use vacuum bags (but not vacuumed!), although you can get away with the big Poundland ones, since your not handling them that much. My bags are in the loft, and so just need a bag over the storage bag once dried out, to protect them from damp, which I then just seal with a big clipit. Its not just down ones, synthetic benefit from being stored loose as well, although the loft will degrade quicker, but it does extend the life of bags, for very little outlay.

Reactions: Chomp

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE