stone age axe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

cyclist

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 9, 2006
holstein
while working on some of my axes a friend asked about stone age axes.
Any experiences on what materials to use?
Thanks.

H

Heathenpeddler

Try the Primitive Technology homepage - I have their book and it has a large section on making stone axes and 'celts'. I would recommend that book to anyone who is interested in primitive tech - I want the second one now!

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
I like to rather describe the properties of good stone rather than what stone it is. Will open your eyes a little more to what is around you.

The properties of good axe stone is:
- Hard
- Can take a sharp, strong edge (homogenous)
- Workable (possible to either/and flake, grind or peck)
- Preferably, find a river cobble that is closely resembling the shape you want to achive. That will save you A LOT of work.

You should however seriously consider making an antler axe instead. Easier and is less prone to breaking. It doesn't hold up it's edge as well though. I have made one of red deer antler and I like it very much.

Reactions: Toddy

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
They are awesome books, there are other similar ones but those 2 are the best of their type that I've seen. Let us know how you get on

Exbomz

Oct 19, 2004
East Sussex
It depends what stone you have available. Most flint and chert can be knapped into shape pretty easily, but if there is none around you, that is a problem. And of course, you need the knapping skills.

If you want to grind one into shape, then as said below, find a cobble as close to final shape as possible. Grinding can be hellishly slow - have a try grinding flint - but other rocks, such as the greenstones, grind far more easily. And with this paricular stone, you can 'cheat' with an angle grinder to take it down to near finished size/shape, and then grind by hand on a sandtone/quartzite (an abrasive rock, whatever you can find) to out the final polish and cutting edge on.

I hoep that helps but be prepared to spend time on it :)

Cheers

Paul

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
Peck first, then grind. Pecking is more risky, but saves on time. Very hard rocks such as quartz or quartzite are excellent for pecking. Just split them to achieve sharp edges and start pecking. Do not grow too bold though, otherwise you may destroy an hours work in a single blow.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE