Stoat in its winter coat - in Bolton!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I was walking along the main road through Rivington Country Park yesterday, not far from the main carpark, when I spotted a flash of white slinking across the grass. I ran across for a closer look and saw a stoat on a fallen tree trunk staring back at me. Pure white body with a black tail, never seen one in the wild before!

But I thought they only developed the white coat further North where the Winter is regularly colder? Is it just because our last few Winters have been so cold that they are getting the white coat around this area? Anyone seen them further South?

Incidentally, the Stoat disappeared and as I was peering through the undergrowth to try to spot it again I saw a smallish dome tent, nice woodland colours, neatly hidden away in the woods, only a few metres from the road. Thought about shouting hello then decided that anyone who'd sought out such a secluded spot valued their privacy. Wondered if it was anyone on here doing a spot of wild camping?

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Well that is a nice spot and I would have been surprised too. Are we absolutely sure it was stoat not escaped ferret? The black tail should be a clincher if it was a clear view. And the description of pure white fits too where ferret tends to appear more creamy.

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Yep, the black tail is the clincher, they have that year round. We get them round here 'in ermine' (white coat) of course but never seen one that far south. I think the coat change depends on how much snow is around, but don't quote me on that.

I thought when I first saw it that it must be an escaped ferret but when I got closer it was too small and didn't have pink eyes (I'm assuming albino ferrets have pink eyes - but willing to be corrected!)
So with that and what you guys are saying I'm pretty certain it was a stoat.
I'd love to see one again, it was beautiful, I'll certainly be keeping a close eye out when I'm there again, but I guess they'll be changing to the less visible Summer coat soon.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
I thought when I first saw it that it must be an escaped ferret but when I got closer it was too small and didn't have pink eyes (I'm assuming albino ferrets have pink eyes - but willing to be corrected!)

Not always. Black-eyed whites are becoming popular in ferret breeding.
So probably not true albinos I suppose. :dunno:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE