Stihl chainsaw

ammo

Settler
Sep 7, 2013
by the beach
I know basic maintenance, although Youtube is often where I go for help. I would recommend getting it properly serviced. It's easier to maintain once done properly.
Feel free to pm me.

adestu

Native
Jan 19, 2010
swindon
I have a sthil
011v saw
It didnt run too well when i got it.i run it on the premix fuel that is available.i found the carb settings and did that and all seemed well.but when it got hot it wouldn't start very well.the local dealer said it could be the coil.
Ive since stripped cleaned and serviced the carb.new fuel lines and filter in the tank.new seals and carb diaphragm.new air filter also.new throttle cable as well.new plug.
Now it wont start.it has a spark with both the new and old plug.when i pull the cord i get fuel coming out the exhaust and and a very wet plug.
I did when working on it also remove the coil pack to clean the pick ups on the flywheel.ive reset the air gap as per the manual.ive checked the cut off switch as well.
Any ideas would be helpful as I'm tempted to just go buy a new saw

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
Is it newl or second hand? I ask because the alkalite fuel (motomix or aspen) don't have solvents in them, so if a previous owner ran it on petrol then you will have trouble starting it until the varnish has washed out of the carburettor. I know this from first hand experience of a £1k compressor that was factory tested using pump petrol and I only use aspen for my 2 and 4 stroke engines!

If that is the case (and worth trying anyway!), then empty the tank out and stick some petrol based 2 stroke mix in there and start it up, run it for a bit and then top up the tank with the motomix. My toy saw (ms180) was a sod to start and keep running for the first 5 or 6 hours of use and that helped until it got run it a little, so even new engines can be odd.

As to why the fuel is working it's way right through to the exhaust. I have no idea! Did you plumb the tank straight to the exhaust and by bass the whole engine or something?! I've never heard of that before, sorry can't help

All else fails, take it to a still service person and get them to look at it

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
No expert by any stretch of the imagination Ade, but sounds like it's unburnt fuel coming out of the exhaust, and given you have a spark then I would guess it's flooding (have you reassembled the carb and got the choke settings okay ?) or lack of air (don't know how you check that ?).

Otherwise you have fuel going in, compression (given the fuel being forced out !), and a spark, so lack of air or too much fuel ?

Feel free to ignore though as I always end up taking mine to the servicing guy, and always regret it when I get the bill !!!

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
The coil could be breaking down under load but most likely its gonna be a carb issue

Tbh, an 011 is a good, but very old saw. depending on condition you will get a few quid for it on ebay....a good bit towards the cost of a modern equivelent like the ms170-ms180 range

adestu

Native
Jan 19, 2010
swindon
Ive stripped the carb again and found a possible cause. The oump diaphragm was buckled.off tomorrow for another and see what happens

adestu

Native
Jan 19, 2010
swindon
It still does it . cylinder bore filling up with fuel.maybe getting in from the fuel tank via the crank case seal

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Carbs on the smaller top handles are as picky as a picky thing. I've got 2 MS200 T climbing saws. If I don't run them up regularly they over rev then die. Then I have to run a whole tank of fuel through on full revs to sort it.

I'd take it in.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE