Stihl Bush Hook (sic ) or Fiskars x3

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Oakleaf

Jun 6, 2004
Moray
Couldn't see a direct comparison thread on these - though BCUK and Googly turn up lots of reviews with some glowing reports on them both. One list of the 'top 5' bill hooks had them both rated at 5 stars.

Now I fully appreciate there's quite a difference between the two. My gut reaction is to always go with something repairable and with longer tang etc - which would edge in the Stihl. But the reports on the Fiskars tend to be glowing across the board too! I saw one review where the guy cracked the handle - but admitted doing a lot of heavy work splitting 2x4's.

So, not really after a debate per se on leather stack handle v synthetic; but more of a simple feedback from people with these - ideally someone with both ( worth asking ;) ) - which is your go-to choice.

Any genuine gripes with either?

Many thanks

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
I own a Newtown Bill and have used a Fiskars
Both usable in their own way and for different reasons. The Fiskars doesn't feel very much like a traditional bill in the hand. the weight isn't quite there for instance. however if you ignore the 'it's not a bill' voice in your head and use it how it was intended it is a reasonable tool. If I had one I would be tempted to take some of the beak off to make it more rounded but that's just me
The good news is they're not too expensive so it's possible to one on spec

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Hi Andy,
Yes I remember. Fine thanks and you?
The only other thing about fiskars is they need reprofiling. The edge is appalling from new

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
The sthil is a damn good tool imo. Not as heavy as most traditional bill hooks but just makes it more machete than parang if you know what I mean

Oakleaf

Jun 6, 2004
Moray
BS - fine thanks, shovelling snow and hoping it doesn't put clients off for next week!

SD - many thanks.

I did note that the Fiskars edge looked a bit fine. Still thinking, but gut is heading in direction of the Stihl - and given my build there's a certain intertia involved! :)

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
I have a stihl and enjoy it for what it is. A well ballanced comfortable tool for clearing brush . It will never compete with a traditional bill hook for multi tasking though .

I use an Ewell bill hook for splitting , chopping and clearing and limbing frequently.

My best tool though is the 'Woodsmans Pal' or was till it went missing 👎

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE