Sticking cakes.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Well, when I came home from the Moot I found an oven in the middle of my mercifully roomy kitchen!

Turned out Dad had been helping a friend; their oven was malfunctioning (ie 3 rings worked when there should have been 4...) and as it was 4 years old they replaced it. So he got the job of taking it to the tip. (These things happen when you have a people carrier)

He did wire it in...eventualy.

So I am now the extreemly chuffed owner of a real Tricity Bendix fan assisted oven with both an upper and a main oven...It goes like a bomb.

So I have been BAKING!!!!!!

(Microwaves are good, but there are only so many things you can do in them.)

only trouble is, my cakes stick in the tin. (I buttered them and all)

any way to prevent this?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
....or bake them empty having first greased them as though you were going to bake a sponge.
Thereafter, don't scrub them out, just a quick sponge off in hot water and then put them back into the still hot oven to dry. Greaseproof paper cut to fit the bottom is a great help too.

I had one of those cookers; an earlier version without the fan assisted oven, best cooker I ever had, I only changed it when we got a new kitchen fitted. I still miss the double oven. New ring elements are easy to buy and fit on them.

cheers,
Toddy

Last edited:

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
My advice would be don't use butter as it burns easily.Veg oil or lard is better.The other easy tip is get some old tins at a boot sale.They have already done the sticking and got it out of their system.
I am a baker by trade and we never buy new tins.Always used ones.Much less bother.The old tin ones with rolled edges are the best ; the good ones are two layers on the base.
You could line the base of your tin with parchment:that helps too.
Have fun baking .Simon

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
lard or oil every time, never butter, DO bake your tins with oil in same as you would a dutch oven to break it in and follow mary's advice on hot water wash only
parchment paper if you're still having sticking probs.
don't be tempted with silicon bakeware btw, there is no substitute for a good tin imho ;)
my family would agree because they love my cakes and yorkshire puds ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE