Sterling Sharpener

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

chem_doc

Tenderfoot
Sep 14, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I didn't see any mention of this in the forums, so I figured I'd throw it out there for those interested.

It's a carbide knife sharpener. It's about 3" by 1" and about 1/2 ounce (according to the website). It's flat, about 2mm thick.

And it works. I got mine in the mail today and it's already got 3 knives of mine razor sharp. I've got the bald patches on my left arm to show it.

http://www.sterlingsharpener.com/home.html

Beats having a dull blade in the great outdoors....

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I've used something very similar.
Bladetech IIRC, it removed one heck of a lot of metal from the edge and was no good at removing dings - they are demonstrated by shaving rabbit fur at the outdoor shows so they can't be all bad. Its just that I now prefer to use a Sharpmaker and a strop.

ATB

Ogri the trog

pteron

Acutorum Opifex
Nov 10, 2003
Wiltshire
pteron.org
They were recommended by Doug Ritter on ETS for a long time, but he now says they are not good for modern steels like BG42 and S30V. Having sharpened a few knives with mine, I have to say that there is no way it is going near my Sebenza as the edge it produces is sharp but is made of micro serrations.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I saw one of these. or something very similar, at the Game Fair a couple of years ago only they went under the name of Blade Tech. I was told that they were great for flat ground blades but were not so good for Scandi-ground blades. I don't know whether there's any truth to this. They seemed an interesting take on sharpening and certainly worked for my SAK.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE