Steralize Leather sheath

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Geoffrey

Forager
Oct 3, 2004
Maine
Hi all, how might I steralize a leather knife sheath? How do you guys clean/steralize the inside of your leather sheaths?

Thanks.

Geoffrey.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
sterilising ususally involves high heat (autoclaving) or chemicals (ethylene dioxide) to kill off all bugs. I'd think it extreme for a leather sheath. If an item held in it needed to be sterile, I'd use another container. If it's a good clean I'd brush off the worst of it then use water and a thin bottle brush. You may have to reproof the leather I guess. If the sheath was really contaminated could you unpick the seam and clean it then resew?

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
I suppose if you have been cutting raw meat and have resheathed your knife without cleaning it first you may want to clean the inside. Perhaps a antibacterial spray like detol or something might be something you could use? Not sure if that alone would be sufficent to kill of certain germs that are likely to cause food posioning.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I have not heard it necessary to sterilize a sheath. Heat is a no-no. Which leaves chemicals. Strongish iodine solution, or potasium permangermate solution would be my choices. Both stain, but both are used as a dissinfectant and should kill any lingering bacteria.

shona

Tenderfoot
Sep 10, 2004
Scotland
High heat isn't essential - milk is sterilised by heating to 60 -70°C for a short time, but this may damage the leather finish. You could wipe over with Milton sterilising fluid - readily available in pharmacies or supermarkets

zambezi

Aug 24, 2004
DEVON
Just shooting from the lip on this one...I certainly do not have extensive leather-working expertise but how about the following possible non-chemical course of action:

Fill the sheath with water and allow a short time for some of the fluid to be absorbed. Drain and then place in a microwave oven for a few mins. Some experimentation would be required to establish how hot/how many minutes are required to get the sheath up to bug killing temp for a sustained period.

Not sure if the leather would deform, but I guess it would be prudent to re-introduce your [waterproof wrapped] knife into the hot sheath on removal from the oven.

Any experts have a view on this?

Tiffers

Mar 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I wouldnt recommend microwaving a sheath, it will fry it.

Milton would be the best thing to use and will likely be the most gentle too. I've used it to sterilise the inside of the leather tankards that I have made but there is also a layer of sealant between the leather and the milton.

The only problem with getting something wet for a prolonged period of time is the fact that its going to soften and may become mis-formed. Personally I'd prefer not to get the sheath into a condition where it needs this. I.E ensure your knife is clean before you resheath it.

If you want to ensure your knife is clean before you use it to prepare food, I wonder if one of those kitchen wipes you can get now might be useful to wipe the blade just before use?

Hope this helps.

Tiffers

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
I tend to deal with the problem by carrying a stainless folder for food use, and never using my "proper" knife for food. I regard my main knife as "dirty" at all times, plus I oil it with gun oil which doesn't taste very nice and is probably toxic. Food use is bad for high carbon steels anyway...

Geoffrey

Forager
Oct 3, 2004
Maine
thanks all for the feedback. I think I will take leave the sheath as it is and always wash/clean the knife before food prep, that will probably be the best thing to do.

Thanks again all.

Geoffrey.

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
If you put a sheath (or any other leather item) in a microwave it'll end up looking like a piece of streaky bacon that's been under the grill for too long. Use something like Milton solution to sterilise. If the inside of the sheath is heavily contaminated, for example with dried animal blood, you may need to slash the stitching, open it up, scrub the inside well with hot soapy water then restitch it. If you wax the sheath inside and out after wet moulding, and force the wax to penetrate the very fabric of the leather by going over the surface with a hair drier set to maximum heat, you'll find the sheath becomes not only rock hard upon cooling, but the wax will help prevent further contamination of the leather allowing it to be cleaned more easily next time. The best advice of all though, is to clean your knife each time you use it, and put it away clean.

Eric

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
Like Eric said clean before and after use, now is bacteria in the sheath an actual problem or a perceived problem? I mean that here some time ago we had people wanting to know about bacteria from a wooden butchers block as opposed to a nylon/synthetic platform, test results showed that after a short period of time the bacteria on the wooden block minimal but still present on the synthetic surface, would leather be similar in effect? Might be a good test to do.

A

Annie

Tiffers said:
Personally I'd prefer not to get the sheath into a condition where it needs this. I.E ensure your knife is clean before you resheath it.

If you want to ensure your knife is clean before you use it to prepare food, I wonder if one of those kitchen wipes you can get now might be useful to wipe the blade just before use?

Hope this helps.

Tiffers

I've used those antibacterial wipes on a knife in the past & ended up with rust spots and a very unhappy owner.
Current kit is still the antibacterial wipes, dry, then wipe over with a "TufCloth" oil impregnated cloth.
I'm only a novice but it seems to work.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE