Stefan Kellman Emergency Water Filter?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Monk

Forager
Jun 20, 2004
outandabout
Hi!
Way back I came across on a vanished U.S. survival site an emergency water filter designed by a Swedish or Norwegian fellow called Stefan Kellman/Kallman (sp.?)..you could make it out of a beer/soda can and the main filter material was bog/peat moss..I recall the site claimed the Swedish or some military defense agency tested it..that it could make sewage contaiminated water drinkable..the online info no longer exists..can any of our Viking friends provide some info on Kellman and this emergency water filter?
Thanks and seasons greeting everyone!
Monk

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Hi Mate,
I just read about water purification in the swedish army survival book but didnt find anything about a Kellman water Filter. The book teaches you how to build yourself a filter and says too that the easiest way is to use the purification tablets. But I am such a new and young swede that maybe some "real" old swedes which actually were in the army can help you further.

all the best
cheers
Abbe

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Hi

Remember filtration is not purification. Using even a commerical filter doen't mean the water is safe to drink only a purifier will remove all pathogens. Filter before treating to remove large organic matter, but suspect water should be treated.

Monk

Forager
Jun 20, 2004
outandabout
ChrisKavanaugh,
thanks!
That is the filter that was on the old Rocky survival site..soda can with peat moss but on the old Rocky site they did mention it was designed by Kellman and tested by the Swedish MoD to produce drinking water out of sewage contaiminated water as far as I can recollect.
Thanks again!
Monk

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
Stefan Källman is an biologist that used do a lot of research for the army and has written a book about plansts that can be used for food or mediceine (great book for people living in the nordic countries). Stefan Källman was one of the people (Lars Fält another one) that started SÖS, Svenska Överlevnads Sällskapet or Swedish Survival Guild as it´s called in english (http://www.survive.nu/english.html)
The way of filtering water with a soda can with coal, peat and stones are something that is not longer recommended to be used.

Adi

Nomad
Dec 29, 2004
Sphagnum moss has sterilising properties; if you clean it of debris by washing it in running water you can then put it in a can and use it as a filter. Once it is made you take more sphagnum moss and ring the water out of it into you filter and out come clean safe water.

That worked until the industrial revaluation but then came chemicals and acid rain so I would not try it nowadays, although as kids playing up on the Chains, on Exmoor, that’s what we did :uu:

Monk

Forager
Jun 20, 2004
outandabout
Thanks everyone! Viking, thanks for posting that link!
Moss.. I was looking at this as an emergency way to filter water...had read about the soda can filter and thought that in the event of a disaster it might be useful to know.
Thanks all!
Monk

woodrat

Forager
Dec 31, 2004
Oregon U.S.A.
I have a side question, where did you find a copy of swedish survival manual, I am trying to collect military survival manuals from around the world for library, any hep,advice will be absolutly appreicated.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE