Steel billy cans

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
Look all over for steel billys, preferably a set, but all i seem to find are aluminium ones and expensive zebra billys.

Any ideas please folks

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Tatonka make stainless steel billies. They do quite a range of different sizes as well as sets. They are made of thinner stainless steel than the zebra ones so are much lighter, and also the handles lock in place so it makes pouring easier..... I've used one for a few years now and have no complaints.

Ed

benp1

Nomad
Nov 30, 2006
London
go to your local cheapo shop and buy a tea/coffee/sugar pot set. i think i paid just over a fiver. drill holes and use picture wire to hang over a fire. they're made out of pressed stainless steel. bargain!

the lid is from a pot of golf tees, same size as boiled travel sweet tins

IMAGE_286.jpg

JFW

Settler
Mar 11, 2004
Clackmannanshire
another one for tea coffee and sugar pots, but from poundstreacher - 7 quid. reasonable weight pressed ss with lids, just add a wire bail. Ideal size for 1 person cooking, about 4" diameter.

Cheers

JFW

try hitch and hike, i think they do some from what i recall

best regards
steve

too late it would appear
http://w01-0504.web.dircon.net/acatalog/cooking_billys.html

they are avalible from Oswald Baily but the bottoms just have a copper plateing so not the same as a propper copper bottom pan

atb

Duncan

PS saw a 5ltr heineken can in the super market its a ALU Keg which was £13 ish after you drink teh beer should make a nice big cooking pot :beerchug:
HBlostapvat5ltr.jpg
http://www.bacchusvof.nl/aanbiedingen_files/HBlostapvat5ltr.jpg

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
Well seeing as though i'm tee-total and on the wagon (11 years next February) someone buy the keg, drink the beer (i won't pay for anyone to get ratted either..) and then give me said keg lol

Tourist

Settler
Jun 15, 2007
Northants
Morrisons £2.99. The wire was 59p from B&Q.

Everything else was in the shed: dowling for handle; held on by a stainless screw and washer; the brackets on the side are 22mm copper pipe olives, flattened with a nail in to leave the hole for the wire; the flattened olives were then soldered to the can; handle is a piece of microbore copper pipe.

I gave up waiting for a 10cm zebra........none till novemebr

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
Effective. Will have a browse round our supermarkets.

To be honest i'm a cheap git, so the cheaper the better, and i could make one like Wayland's but i ain't that good. ;)

mazeman

Forager
Jun 7, 2007
Porthmadog, Gwynedd
Morrisons £2.99. The wire was 59p from B&Q.

Everything else was in the shed: dowling for handle; held on by a stainless screw and washer; the brackets on the side are 22mm copper pipe olives, flattened with a nail in to leave the hole for the wire; the flattened olives were then soldered to the can; handle is a piece of microbore copper pipe.

I gave up waiting for a 10cm zebra........none till novemebr

QUOTE]

Nifty bit of work that, mate. Nice one. :You_Rock_

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Charity shop special!
Canister - a matter of pence - knob - a piece of whittled hazel held with a self tapping screw - bail - a bent knitting needle!
Big enough for a brew, or to cook my noodles or even a rat pack boil in the bag.
Sep02922.jpg

Stove £4.95 - Woolies cutlery drainer with extra holes and a couple of bolts as legs.

It is all rather wierd that I make this stuff as I have a room full of stoves, pots, pans etc.
I guess it is just more satisfying to make stuff....

Tourist

Settler
Jun 15, 2007
Northants
Nifty bit of work that, mate. Nice one.

Ta for the compliment :)

John, I drop a couple of stones in the bottom of my IKEA special to allow for good air circulation. I was thinking about putting some bolts into the bottom like you have, is it a good modification - any probs or tips?

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
Nice one John, thats the sort of thing i'm thinking about making. Something light, and that will take a naked flame as i've heard aluminium have a tendency to burn through.

However, for the short term i've just picked this up. Still want some billys though

tatonka03.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE