Starting from fresh.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 21, 2015
Durham
the most basic IMHO would be Hammock, sleeping bag, basha, crusader mug, firesteel, knife, spoon, rucksack, some paracord
that takes care of your sleeping, cooking, shelter etc a hammock can be had from Tenth wonder on fleabay for about 15 quid, the price of a good kipmat or less, and your bones will thank you for it, a hammock can also be uses as a windbreak, as a seat, as a shelter, and as a stretcher........so its multifunctional, more so than a kipmat and it keeps you off wet or damp ground. its useless if there are no trees though!

As for a bottle, i use empty 1 or 1.5 or 2 litre pop bottles, strong, light, cheap and ya dont cry if ya break it!
first thing i would do though, is ask if you can go out with someone that has kit, watch, practice, learn, ask if you may borrow a sleeping bag or whatever to find out what you like......my kit was cheap........very, as i did a few trades but for an idea, I spent about £150 including £57 on a knife. it can be done cheaper.

Ask about, check classifieds, ebay, gumtree, etc

Last edited:

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
I would start out cheap and cheerful, you'll soon find what you like and what you don't and then you can save your pennies for quality gear. I reckon that making your own gear and adapting stuff is an excellent way of learning skills.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
In terms of low cost, you can't go too wrong with Alpkit. They have just announced their Pipedream 350S sleeping bag, this is a 1kg synthetic sleeping bag, that should be good for most of the summer and into some of spring and autumn. Pair that with a Rig 3.5 tarp, a hunka bivvi bag, and a nato 5 season sleep matt (about a tenner). You've got a nice setup.

Cookset wise, there are some lovely mini trangia clones out there.

The one thing I would say, if you are tight on cash, there is a lot to be said by paying attention to Sam Vimes.

Julia

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Just to add, I'm rather pleased with my [thread=128307]firemaple cookset[/thread] It was 10 quid delivered.

Julia

Last edited:

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
I love looking at bargain kit, I'm so much the other way there's no turning back now! There's a few kit items that are a real bargain out there, you can't go wrong with a Mora knife but there's a few by Condor that are worth a punt, aluminium billy cans 6piece on ebay for around £16 will do nicely and the Swedish 35l army pack is a great buy. Plastic builders tarp will do until you decide what size suits you best. Ex army kip bags and bed rolls/bivi bag!
Hope this helps,

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
The Condor Kephat I was looking at, bit of a jump from a Mora in price but a nice knife, check out YouTube for ideas, Dave Cantabury's video on cheap kit are good, bit long winded thoe! I like the guy personally, he has a genuine passion for the subject.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE