Starting flint knapping

johnboe522

Feb 20, 2012
lulworth
I want to have a play with flint and try to make an arrow head and one know of any good books or the sort of tools ill need, I was going to use a bit of antler to knap the flint not sure if this will work!?!?

Paul W

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 5, 2005
SE London
This is a good book John:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Flintknappi...6891&sr=8-1&keywords=flint+knapping+whittaker

From having a bash (literally) it seems like a really difficult subject to get started with especially if you have limited resources in your area. If you can afford it I definitely think a course is the way to get started.

Whittaker's books is the best book by a long way, however I personally have never found descriptions of what to do in text too useful, much better there are some wonderful instructional Youtube vids.

Paul W

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 5, 2005
SE London
I want to have a play with flint and try to make an arrow head and one know of any good books or the sort of tools ill need, I was going to use a bit of antler to knap the flint not sure if this will work!?!?

Not much, to make an arrowhead you need about 5 things. A pebble to knock a flake off a nodule, a soft hammer (antler or copper) to thin the flake, a pressure flaker (antler or copper) to shape it, a leather pad to hold it in and a rough piece of stone to abrade with.

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
I've been knapping on and off for afew years, I'm getting pretty good at knocking off usable flakes, and Have made up afew decent blades/knives.
Once tried never bored.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE