Started a new bowl today

Hammock Hamster

Feb 17, 2012
Kent
Hi all, I thought I would try something a bit different and try carving a bowl from end grain (a bit like a bowl turner would) but with hand tools.

Not something I would usually attempt due to the increased risk of cracking and checking but decided to give it a go.

It's shaping up quite nicely and as long as it doesn't get ruined in the drying process I will be quite pleased with it.

Going to sand the inside and oil finish it but can't decide whether to keep a tooled finish on the outside or sand it as well - what does everybody think?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428348777.416967.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428348790.923113.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428348802.862205.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428348818.581198.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428348843.996826.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428348851.864836.jpg

Hamster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock Hamster

Feb 17, 2012
Kent
Thanks guys, I am erring towards the tooled finish but not sure how it would cope with oiling being so uneven???
Harvestman, I would love to get myself a lathe but alas have no space, or power in my workshop. This was a full on 8 hours of work with gouge, axe and spoon knife and I have the blisters to prove it - I suspect a lathe would have been somewhat kinder! :)

Nativewood

Forager
Feb 9, 2015
Caledonia
Tooling won't effect the oiled finish if you make your tool marks as small or as even as possible. Even if not, the oil will still be fine. If you are sanding the inside then definitely leave the outside tooled as I, for one, like the contrast both finishes give on the same piece. Good work and best of luck with the drying - slowly, slowly dryee bowl....:D

Hammock Hamster

Feb 17, 2012
Kent
slowly, slowly dryee bowl....:D

Your not wrong there - plastic bag with small airhole, fresh shavings, in the unheated garage and every extremely currently crossed.

Very small crack has been in the bottom of the bowl from the start that I can't get deep enough to remove but is hasn't reached the other side yet.

humdrum_hostage

Jul 19, 2014
Stradishall, Suffolk
You done a good job. I tried hand carving the end grain once and soon gave up!

Leave the outside tooled, its a different piece for the grain orientation. It can also be different with the tooled finish.

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I've carved several feast dishes. Smooth insides for ease of serving and cleaning. I vote 2 or 3 times in favor of a tool marked outside surface.
Quite common textured surfaces in carvings and wood works done by the PacNW native carving community.
Look: it also sets off the fact that the dish was hand carved, not power-carved in any way.

One very common practice is to do the carving gouge marks in a pattern = lines or diagonals. Google UBC/MOA. Sort the online catalog of 40,000+ items for dishes.
See what was done, around the world, in the past.

Before I forget: dang fine dish that I would be proud to serve anything to anyone.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE