Start my countryside and enviromental management course tomorrow

scottishwolf

Settler
Oct 22, 2006
Ayr
Well, it's registration tomorrow and I start the full time course on Monday, i'm crappin myself a wee bit but am excited too. Took me long enough to get of my backside and apply for it due to being off work long term sick. It's gonna take a bit of getting used to getting back into routine and it will be difficult due to problems with my leg etc but I may as well just grin and bear it. I could just have easily sat on my backside and vegetate and the advice I got from the job centre etc was to do just that!!! I'm gonna be worse off money wise by doing the course which I think is rediculous considering they want people off the sick and back into training or education etc. But anyway, that's my wee rant over. And i'll let you know how I get on a few weeks down the line.

Cheers, Davie

Dan1982

Jan 14, 2006
Cumbria
Nice one matey! :You_Rock_ I am 4 weeks into an nvq 2 forestry course. i only study part time cos i work 5 days a week but alot of the lads on my course do the countryside management full time and the forestry is part of it. they are all great craic and i have made some good friends already.

You wont regret it mate!;)

Dan

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Good luck with it Davie.

You have my respect for being willing to stand back up and do something for yourself rather than what the job centre suggested. I hope it all goes well for you.

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
Good luck mate, just think out in the woods for a living as well as your hobby, theres many a fella would pay for that privelage. BTW whereabouts in God's county are you? We must be nearly neebors

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
I'm in the second year of my Countryside Management Course now. It's a bit hard at first when you are getting into gear and learning how things are done but once you get in the flow you should do fine.

I was nervous when I first started as it was all new to me but the first year went so well that I decided to do another year.

It makes things really tight for me financially too, but as long as I can keep afloat I want to do what I enjoy.

Big Geordie

Nomad
Jul 17, 2005
Bonny Scotland
Hi Davie,

Good to see you're back. Great news about your course. Is it at SAC?
I go past there fairly regularly. Let me know when you fancy a " wee" beer. We might even get that fishing sorted at Kilwinning!

Good luck tomorrow,
George:)

scottishwolf

Settler
Oct 22, 2006
Ayr
Cheers for the comments guys. Yeah it's at SAC Auchincruive. I'm from Ayr so it's only 5 mins away. I decided I could sit about doing nothing for the next few years or get off my **** and do something I love, and then go into a job I'll love doing. Rangering etc. Money isn't important thing for me as long as I can cover the basics, I'd rather do a job that I love, be in the outdoors and be happy. Here's to the future :D

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
I work in Ayr Davie so if your ever coming past Wellington Square duck in for a cuppa and introduce yourself Im with the Red Cross next door to wellies.

scottishwolf

Settler
Oct 22, 2006
Ayr
I work in Ayr Davie so if your ever coming past Wellington Square duck in for a cuppa and introduce yourself Im with the Red Cross next door to wellies.

I'm in wellies occasionally lol, I'll pop in sometime and say hello mate. Whats yer name? I canny just go in and ask for sniper lol

scottishwolf

Settler
Oct 22, 2006
Ayr
Hi Davie,

Good to see you're back. Great news about your course. Is it at SAC?
I go past there fairly regularly. Let me know when you fancy a " wee" beer. We might even get that fishing sorted at Kilwinning!

Good luck tomorrow,
George:)

Deffo up for the fishing mate, been shore fishing about 3 times a week latley and fishing competitions etc. Fishing for the Scottish team next year in the european championships. Am up for a pike bashing session though. Gimme a shout and we can sort it out sometime. Cheers.

Mastino

Settler
Mar 8, 2006
Netherlands
Hi Davie,

Good luck with the training and the disentangelment from the the labor office people. Perhaps you know what Reagan (no affiliation of any kind:) ) said about government: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

That's why the have an interest in keeping people home...

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon
I'm in the second year of my Countryside Management Course now. It's a bit hard at first when you are getting into gear and learning how things are done but once you get in the flow you should do fine.

I was nervous when I first started as it was all new to me but the first year went so well that I decided to do another year.

It makes things really tight for me financially too, but as long as I can keep afloat I want to do what I enjoy.

you weren't at kingsmedes this morning were you? We went with a group of ND's to do a bit of plant ID there.

om2ae

Sep 2, 2006
Luton
Hi

It the best thing you will do, I started mine back in 2000 and came out of Uni 5yrs later. I've worked in a country park, for the wildlife trust and now for herts cc, keep at it its odd being back at school after so long but def worth it. Good luck

Aaron

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2003
Oxford/Gloucs border
No need to crap yourself mate. I remember my first day at college, it helped me to write down the following lyrics:

Cause you are not alone
And I am there with you
And we\'ll get lost together
Until the light comes pouring through
It's when you feel like you're done
And the darkness has won
Babe, you're not lost
And the world\'s crashing down
And you can not bear the cross
I said, baby, you're not lost

I then made the mistake of sharing what I had written down the local with singer Michael Buble, who plagarised them for use in a well known song. Michael and I have not spoken since, although he does send me a Christmas card each year. True story.

scottishwolf

Settler
Oct 22, 2006
Ayr
Pmsl, i'm doing the same course as one of the guys from here http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ydNMl6jmgtw

The bushcraft boyz! Was speaking to him earlier today and was like.....I know your face fae somewhere...then it twigged, You're the dude fae you tube lol. Think i'm gonna enjoy this course folks, seems like a good bunch of people on it. I'm so glad I bit the bullet and applied for it. :D

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Pmsl, i'm doing the same course as one of the guys from here http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ydNMl6jmgtw

The bushcraft boyz! Was speaking to him earlier today and was like.....I know your face fae somewhere...then it twigged, You're the dude fae you tube lol. Think i'm gonna enjoy this course folks, seems like a good bunch of people on it. I'm so glad I bit the bullet and applied for it. :D

Sounds good Davie and a' that wood aboot the college wi' the River Ayr built in;)

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
you weren't at kingsmedes this morning were you? We went with a group of ND's to do a bit of plant ID there.

Yep, I was there. :D

I was they annoying old git with the National Geographic buff on his head who sat in on your "Principles of Ecology" class last week too. In fact I'll be in there every week. I didn't want to do the the Natural History Museum outing because I'd already done it before.

scottishwolf

Settler
Oct 22, 2006
Ayr
I'm gonna involve bushcraft as part of my course work later on in the course. About how we can spend time in the environment without creating any disturbance etc. Asked one of the tutors today and he said it was a great idea. Promote bushcraft and minimalist impact countryside activities. I know it's only day one but I think I've found 'MY' thing in life finally :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE