Star Jelly?

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
I've been in the Yorkshire Dales this week and while walking up Ingleborough I found two piles of clear, gelatinous stuff. It was raining pretty hard so couldn't get a picture but found one on google images and it looked exactly like this.

starjelly2.jpg

The internet isn't being very helpful in giving any explanations as to what this stuff is. Anyone know anything about it or come across it themselves?

Last edited:

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
I would think it was a slime mold.

edit But it isnt. Ediinburgh uni analysed it and found it doesn't have DNA. So it aint life as we know it.

How very odd! I put this thread in Flora and Fauna but I was somewhat unsure which section to put it in.

Elgatoloco

Tenderfoot
Apr 6, 2010
Glasgow, UK
Seen it last year not far away from Ben Lawers....sadly I didn't have my camera with me back then...weird stuff it is, I even played with it a little lol. It taste OK, bit too salty perhaps.

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
No DNA ! Really.. Blimey, sounds like a cover up to me. ;)
Odd stuff, is it edible? Looks like it could be one of our five a day..

xylaria

Seen it last year not far away from Ben Lawers....sadly I didn't have my camera with me back then...weird stuff it is, I even played with it a little lol. It taste OK, bit too salty perhaps.

Curiouser and curiouser. I did wonder if aeroplanes used silcia gel in the loos, after some near misses with frozen urine blocks falling from the sky. But they dont , passenger planes are emptied by ground crew now.

Plants that make mucilage do so out starch/sugar, it wouldnt taste of salt.

Last edited:

Elgatoloco

Tenderfoot
Apr 6, 2010
Glasgow, UK
Curiouser and curiouser. I did wonder if aeroplanes used silcia gel in the loos, after some near misses with frozen urine blocks falling from the sky. But they dont , passenger planes are emptied by ground crew now.

Plants that make mucilage do so out starch/sugar, it wouldnt taste of salt.

To be honest, if it was tested by random universities and scientists I suppose it wouldn't be hard to match it to existing substance. Whatever that is, it's quite weird. I believe it's http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panspermia

RE8ELD0G

Settler
Oct 3, 2012
Kettering
The woods i hammock in have this same gloop mostly on rotten logs and tree branches.
Been getting it on my hands while collecting firewood and also wondering what it was....

xylaria

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
Not many rotting logs on Ingleborough. The slime moulds look similar but they would be attached to rotting wood.

The stuff I have found looks like the first pic, its definitely from the spawn jelly producing parts of a female frog as there were remains of frog nearby.

No need to call Mulder and Scully!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE