Stalking in Dorset

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stoddy

Need to contact Admin...
May 4, 2005
dorset
deer.jpg

I used to hunt these creatures, now I just like to photograph them (I have mellowed in my old age)

deer2.jpg

shaky cam on the last one was due to my excitement that it had'nt seen me :)

stoddy

Need to contact Admin...
May 4, 2005
dorset
about 50 feet!, I sat very still, and she walked towards me.

I have a 300m lense with a 2 x converter (taking it to 600m) but you loose a bit of clarity when my hands shake, due to lack of booze :)

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
It's the sabre tooth ones you have to watch out for.... pure evil they are. Maneaters... Have you seen the deer in Bushey Park? It might seem like you are watching them, but THEY are watching you, waiting for a moment of weakness. The cull is not to control numbers, it is to eradicate the deer that have tasted human flesh. The maneaters have to be controlled in case it spreads.
Here's a skull of these voracious spawn of Satan found all over Dorset:

BC129-lg.jpg

Evil, pure evil... Here's one with skin on for a comparison:

cwdwebphoto.jpg

This evil pair are stalking an innocent family, picnicing in Cranbourne Chase, Dorset:

chinese.jpg

See how one has tried to retract it's teeth to feign 'sweetness'. This is their element of suprise.

I got really close to this demon, but when it spotted me i had to literally run for my life!
muntjacbuck.jpg

I spent 2 hours up a tree while it circled around the base, waiting for me to tire. It was only the passing of two elderly ramblers that lured it away to easier prey. I tried to shout a warning at them but they started having a go at me for climbing trees instead. Alas they failed to spot the hell-dwellers until it was too late. I'll never forget their little bobble hats...

stoddy

Need to contact Admin...
May 4, 2005
dorset
:D :D :D

flipping funny :D :D :D

I have just peed my pants..... :D

I will never venture into the woods again......

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
I find it amazing you can get so close stoddy. It's not an easy thing to do. Great pics and they're not taken by some National Geographic reporter with a tele-lens from 300 yards, but from 50 feet! :D Super stuff. And she's beautiful too.

stoddy

Need to contact Admin...
May 4, 2005
dorset
It did run like the wind when my old camera made the clicking noise!!!

and the wind was in my favour

flibb

Tenderfoot
May 23, 2005
Kent
Does the owner do the retrieving?

Took this during that spring cold snap. Location was the golf course at Knole Park Sevenoaks.

DSCN0130_edited-1.jpg

stoddy

Need to contact Admin...
May 4, 2005
dorset
I think it was sure luck to get the last photo.

I always wear green in the woods, which helps :D

and move slowly and quietly. I place my feet in the brush, and think about every step I take, a Native Tracker taught me a good technique in South America "imagine your the animal you are tracking!" I know it sounds mad :eek: (lock me up now :) ) but it works for me.

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
Whilst in the New Forest the other week I was about 40ft from two adult Roe bucks for about 15 mins. they saw me and weren't too bothered. Even when the dog gave them a bit of lip they just stared a while. It was only a couple on horseback who scared them off. The riders didn't spot me though...

I can guarantee finding deer in this spot every morning that I go there, and you can normally get really close. I'm going to take a camera some time and snap off some pics for you all.

What small deer do we have in this country that resemble the female chinese water deer, and hop in the same manner when startled? If we have nothing like them, then there are water deer in West Wycombe in the Chilterns.

Galemys

Settler
Dec 13, 2004
Zaandam, the Netherlands
What small deer do we have in this country that resemble the female chinese water deer, and hop in the same manner when startled? If we have nothing like them, then there are water deer in West Wycombe in the Chilterns.[/QUOTE]

My guess would be that it's the other sabre-toothed (& maneating) deer, the muntjac:

http://www.deer-uk.com/Deer.htm

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Spacemonkey said:
What small deer do we have in this country that resemble the female chinese water deer, and hop in the same manner when startled? If we have nothing like them, then there are water deer in West Wycombe in the Chilterns.
Probably Muntjac ??
Muntjac
Very similar size to CWD but cover a huge part of England and Wales.

Cheers

Mark

Bob

Forager
Sep 11, 2003
Dorset
Stoddy

Whereabouts in Dorset were they photographed (East? or are the Sika spreading again?!!)

Bob :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE