Stains on stainless

Aug 4, 2013
Berkshire
I was out today wombling in the woods with my young'un.

On unpacking I find that I have some black stains on my stainless steel knife.

I think the only thing I cut was some brambles.

Anyone else experienced this? Are thy known for it?

And more importantly - how do i remove them?

Thanks

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I usually just rub my stainless knives with some chrome polish when I sharpen them.

A product with Oxalic acid in will work on stains on stainless, I use Bar Keepers friend.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Well stainless is stain less, not stain proof... I have a decent patina on a few knives. I do keep them very clean but still, they pick up a bit of tarnish over time no matter what I do.

Some polishing paste on your finger will get light marks off the surface, after trips out, clean your knives, dry them well and store them out of their sheath. If the sheath is leather try to ensure your knife is clean(isn) before putting back in the sheath while you're out as material and chemicals can transfer to the inside of the sheath and attack the blade over time.

All the best,
Joe.

Aug 4, 2013
Berkshire
I take your point guys, and agree, a tool is a tool and not a display piece, but when I discovered the staining it was as we were unpacking & I was explaining the importance of looking after kit/equipment. To so my little monkey's eyes stains and dirt are one and the same and need sorting.

What is curous is that I have another knife (also stainless) that been used for all sorts and is still very clean. Must be something in bramble sap.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE