Stainless steel or Aluminium

As the title says...

I don't believe that Ally causes Alzheimers - however I do believe it is more reactive as a metal and you can taste the difference, when cooking certain foods, between it and stainless steel - which is less reactive.

Even as a water storage device - I can taste aluminium and for this reason, I don't like it. Soft drinks and especially beer! tends to mask the taste - but water has a distinct metallic taste for me when stored in aluminium. It's heat transfer properties are unsurpassed - which makes it popular as a cooking material - but not for me. Horses for courses...

I've touched on cooking but I'm with the soft drink bottle crowd when it comes to water storage. Light, reusable - any size bottle of mineral water can be topped up with filtered tap water - most, nowadays, come with a re-sealable drinking spout and can be shoved into a side pouch of your pack (with minor shape modifications if you don't overfill it) - what's not to like? Just be careful not to leave a full clear plastic water bottle exposed to sunlight for too long. Photosynthesising microbes will multiply like crazy!

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Plastic.

Bladders to be honest.

Saw a lightweight hiking set up that I am trying to rip off.

Basically, you carry three bladders, and a filter, so you just refill your day one, and use the other around camp. That way you only ever have to carry 3 liters max. Very tempted to do this with one 3 litre bladder, a two litre bladder, and a 2 litre pop bottle.

The main thing that puts me off the metal idea is weight. The bloke at wilderness outfitters has done a nice metal bottle review, sort of a Stainless nalgene bottle, that you can remove all the bits from and cook with.

Liquid fuel I carry in metal, because that is just asking for trouble.

The day after I fell over and crushed my sarnies and burst my bottle of Evian I marched into an overpriced local hiking shop and bought a Sigg water bottle and a Sigg lunch box. Both Ally, both excellent.

I use a bladder for hiking now days, but I'm really careful about how it's packed.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
The day after I fell over and crushed my sarnies and burst my bottle of Evian I marched into an overpriced local hiking shop and bought a Sigg water bottle and a Sigg lunch box. Both Ally, both excellent.

I use a bladder for hiking now days, but I'm really careful about how it's packed.

I have the turn your pop bottle into a bladder kit for that reason. I like the round pop bottles. Try to avoid the Enviro ones, they tend to suck.

I do have some Sigg bottles for water, but they tend to be in the car, and not when hiking.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE