stainless steel bottle for us canteen cup?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
S

spanyug

hi everyone , i recently bought a us stainless steel canteen cup and am looking for a canteen to go with it. i have looked a few places but cant seem to fine one. does anyone know where if possible to get one ?
many thanks and happy camping

Reactions: Wildpiper

Wildpiper

Aug 3, 2021
Chattanooga, TN USA
You might search for army surpluss stores online. I believe Coleman Army Surplus might be a good lead or if worse comes to worse if you give me a week or two I could track one down as I have an army surpluss store about 30 minutes up the road. Although I think most of the canteens available are plastic or aluminum.

Wildpiper

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I highly recommend to ask here before you buy something.

There fits the Nalgene canteen and the original US army canteen and so far I know that's it. Apart from things that are very rare.

Last edited:

Danceswithhelicopters

Sep 7, 2004
Scotland
US Army issue is cast industrial plastic and has worked for decades. There are many crap copies out there so watch out. Don't get a UK Military canteen, it only fits the Crusader mug.

Aluminum and steel surplus also exist which means you can put them near fire but I never like the taste. And they dent and corrode over the years. And they rattle.

Expensive options include the Nalgene USGI canteen. Modern materials, BPA free and replicates the USGI sizing. There is also a Squishy plastic version o saw a few years ago. Soft, flexible plastic in construction but same USGI shape.

Pushing the boat right out is Titanium. Seems to be cheaper on Aliexpress. Neutral taste, uber light and corrosion free.

Wildpiper

Aug 3, 2021
Chattanooga, TN USA
hi everyone , i recently bought a us stainless steel canteen cup and am looking for a canteen to go with it. i have looked a few places but cant seem to fine one. does anyone know where if possible to get one ?
many thanks and happy camping
btw I meant to ask can you post a picture of your canteen cup. Just want to make sure we are talking about the same thing.

i didn't even know someone makes replicas of those....
in 2016 i came across an original one in south korea (iirc i posted a thread about it here...) which i thought of cleaning up and using, but in the end decided against it as my research showed them to be soldered with lead.
my australian army cup looks like the one in the first link and iirc it fitted the original bottle. as the nalgene bottles seem to be currently not in production this might be a possible solution for me to replace my old NATO style plastic bottle at some point :)

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
the nalgene bottles seem to be currently not in production
Yes, it is a pity about that, eh? I got a bunch of red and blue ones for the kids mainly, but never got round to picking up a green one for myself. Hope they start making them again. Can still get the red ones on Amazon, though.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
They seem to produce on the machine products that have to do something with Covid 19.
The bottles will come back.

S

spanyug

thank you for all the replies,
@Wildpiper
here is a picture of the cup.
iu

have been using it for a few days now and find it to be quite good. years back i had the osprey bottle and cup then moved away from the plastic as i like the option of puting both the cup and bottle on the fire.
@Billy-o saw something similar on ebay the other day(stainless steel canteen and cup) . just needing the bottle tho and unsure of the quality of them.

S

spanyug

does anyone have any experience with the USGI Canteen Cup Stand/Stove ? worth buying or build my own ?

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
They seem to produce on the machine products that have to do something with Covid 19.
The bottles will come back.
Ha ha ... I never occurred to me that Nalgene might be busy in other corners of its wheelhouse at the moment :)

Which Finnish stores Herman30? I saw Lamnia, but turns out they didn't have any after all.

Reactions: Erbswurst
are there any loop holes to the import fees? Like having a person ship you one. Or do the fees apply to all post?
import fees do apply to all posting -- a few years ago a friend from California sent me a parcel and i had to pay import fees, too... (one of the drawbacks of living in a tropical paradise)
after just getting myself a new multitool i'm low on funds:frown:, so i've to wait before getting new gear anyway...(edit: fortunately i also have two 500ml stainless steel bottles which are sufficient for my needs at the moment (as most of my outings are only a few hours due to my work schedule for the time being :-( ))

Last edited:

Wildpiper

Aug 3, 2021
Chattanooga, TN USA
import fees do apply to all posting -- a few years ago a friend from California sent me a parcel and i had to pay import fees, too... (one of the drawbacks of living in a tropical paradise)
after just getting myself a new multitool i'm low on funds:frown:, so i've to wait before getting new gear anyway...(edit: fortunately i also have two 500ml stainless steel bottles which are sufficient for my needs at the moment (as most of my outings are only a few hours due to my work schedule for the time being :-( ))
I can relate I havent had an outing in too long

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE