stabalising wood?

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
Im sure i have seen this mentioned on here, the use of salt water to stabalise wood, but cant seem to find anty reference using the search - so if anyone can inform me id be very gratefull.

I take it that you take a carved project - spoon Kuska etc and boiling it in salted water and this would strengthen the wood, to do with salt disolving and penetrating the wood surface and thereby adding density when it dries out?

Is this the general gist - if so how much salt boiled for how long and does if affect the colour and taint food ..?

Or have i completely got it wrong?

smoggy

Forager
Mar 24, 2009
North East England
I think you may well be "brark"ing up the wrong "tree".........

If you boil it you'll be softening the wood, surely!

Immersing hte wood in salt maybe, which may work as Stanleythecat mentions.......

I'd have thought there would be better, easier, more sutable methods to achieve what you require, as I'd have thought that the salt would ultimately be etrimental to the wood!

Then again I'm not an expert here, so someone may be along and enlighten us otherwise!

Smoggy.

Harmony

Tenderfoot
May 15, 2008
Spokane, Washington USA
The salt is absorbed into the wood cells and makes it hygroscopic.

The wood will draw moisture.

As you boil the wood in brine it will change specific
gravity and sink.

Slow dry the wood.

Harmony

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Salt water is used to seaon wood rapidly which is why some mass produced kuksa's tatse salty.
Stabilising wood (or bone antler tooth etc) usually means impregnating with polymers.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE