ssssshhhhhhhh!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Most of my *away from home* outdoor kit, jackets, trousers, etc., is intended for hillwalking. While I have no complaints about the quality of the stuff, or the effectiveness of it in use, it is noisy. I might as well be wearing Edwardian frou-frou skirts from the swish/swish with every step I take. Cotton is much quieter and that's what I wear while rambling around in the woodlands next to the house, but....if it gets wet it's horrible. Being close to home though means I can just dawdle back in and change.
Soooo......any recommendations for silent breeks for woodland wandering? Not cotton and not camouflage.....on me that would just be ridiculous :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Toddy

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
How about woollen trews in a nice regimental tartan? ;)

I do have (and am currently wearing) a nice pair of Mountain Hardware convertibles - not sure exactly what the fabric is, but it's lightweight and fast-drying. Probably some kind of cotton / synthetic blend. Downsides are that it's not very warm and melts at the slightest hint of a spark.

If it's cold, I tend to wear moleskins and just try not to get them too wet. If it's really hammering down, then I live with the noise from my waterproofs.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I bought a pair of vintage Swedish army woollen trousers, warm even when damp, silent, thornproof, fireproof......heavy though but excellent kit my brother tells me :( Well they fitted him better than they did me.
I was kind of hoping someone else knew of a woollen, or something as effective, trousers supplier. Might just have to make trews after all :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Toddy

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Well, you can get regimental trews on eBay easily and cheaply enough. You can also find them in many surplus shops.

NickBristol

Forager
Feb 17, 2004
Bristol, UK
PRI do a very good and very quiet outfit called Trojan, available in Olive, Grey or DPM. It's pretty pricey tho but very effective. You can even fix your BCUK badge to the fold out ID flap :)

qweeg500

Forager
Sep 14, 2003
Hampshire
Fjall Raven Forrester Trousers.
They are made with a brushed version of their G1000 fabric which is a polycotton mix and designed to be quiet.
Get from Field, Moor and Stream or Tamarack for around £65.

Matt

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE