spring/summer camping jacket

Apr 3, 2012
Teignmouth
Hi all,
I wild camp on Dartmoor a few times a year through spring/summer. I am looking for a spring/summer smock/jacket that I can rough it in without worrying about snagging it. I have seen a few of the dutch/austrian surplus smocks and heavy surplus shirts which might fit the critiria and might consider paying the 40 quid for the miltec smock that the bushcraft store have at the moment. Do any of you have any advice on this? The weather on the moor can be very changable but I am a fair weather camper so its unlikely I would be caught out in heavy rain etc....my max budget would be £40 but less would be better and I would rather not have camo. I have been googling for a few days now and I cant see the wood for the trees anymore!

thanks

Dave

p.s I have posted this same message in another bushcraft forum so apologies if like me you are reading this and you use both forums!And yes, as suggested in the other forum, fair weather camping on Dartmoor probably is an oxymoron!

Apr 3, 2012
Teignmouth
I suppose around medium 41-42 inch chest measured with a tape. I like things to fit though, not hanging off me! I am a short **** if that matters 5 foot 8 inches, some of the surplus jackets do have different lengths R/L/S which is good for me. I was hoping for surplus rather than a copy as its usualy less expensive and built to take abuse etc but I am on the look out for anything reasonable quality and under £35-40. My eyes are bleeding from googling!

What size ?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
Daveyboy, I can't suss out how to post links using my kindle, but if you search my threads, I have a jacket for sale that might suit you. It's a surplus cotton desert smock that I dyed brown in the jacket cull thread. Army size 180/112.

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk 2

Apr 3, 2012
Teignmouth
Hi Badger74,
I had a look but it looks like the smock is a little big and maybe a tad too heavy for me during spring/summer.

Thanks for the interest though

Dave

Daveyboy, I can't suss out how to post links using my kindle, but if you search my threads, I have a jacket for sale that might suit you. It's a surplus cotton desert smock that I dyed brown in the jacket cull thread. Army size 180/112.

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
No problem. I started another thread about a jacket I saw on ebay. I ended up buying it, at £35 delivered. I'm very happy with it. It's got lots of pockets and armpit zips. I've worn it everyday since I got it.

Inky

Nov 4, 2012
Cambridge
I posted a review (in the reviews section) recently about the austrian army m65 jacket. Give it a read it may well be what your after. I can recommend it, only I'd say it's more spring autumn than spring summer but who knows. I think the austrian army also do a lighter jacket as it happens, only mention it as their stuff is green/brown rather than camo.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE