spooning - materials and technique

Longbow lad

May 3, 2006
southampton
spoon:

made of pine and finished with linseed oil. took about 2 hours using a mora knife and some medium and fine sandpaper, and some patience- its about 30 cm long.

remember, if you sand spoons inside, using a fine grade just means making the dust go further around the house!

I dont have an axe yet. Timber was split using knife and hammering in to end of log to spit it. Considering i dont have a hollowing out tool im pretty happy with it, i carved the bowl of the spoon out as much as possible using my mora, then went on to a very coarse grade aluminium oxide paper to cut away the bowl by feel, then reduced grades until satisfactory shape and smooth

To get a good plan shape, after splitting the log i carve the grain flat then use a pencil to mark out the shape in plan view, then carve down to the pencil line bit by bit. It helps if you keep the part where the bowl joins the handle slightly chunky or the wood may split.

Regarding using yew: - make sure its seasoned well, it carves better and will leech less toxins. I prefer pine, or birch, though hawthorn makes a good spoon too.

Finding a suitible piece. seek logs with a natural curve or kink (in one direction only!!) in them and no knots around the kink, about the thickness of a wrist to clenched fist. (if its your fist time err on the side of caution and go thicker as youl make mistakes carving, Split on site and carve rough spoon shape. make upper face flat using knife then mark out shape of spoon in plan view, then start the more careful carving.

at least thats how i do it.

Jan Ververs

Feb 23, 2006
Netherlands
When you use the non boiled linseed oil there is no danger.
This oil can be bought by farmer shops, it is used to mix trough horse food.
In Holland these shops are known as Boerenbond or Welkoop.
And it is much much cheaper !!!!

Best regards,

Jan

Nemisis

Settler
Nov 20, 2005
Staffordshire
I too don't have a crook knife but I have a set of butt chisels from crown made with short 4" long blades designed for hand use that are great for digging out the bowls on spoons.
Dave.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE