Spoon Carving

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Blades

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 6, 2009
Aberdeen
My second spoon :)

img_8150.jpg

img_8153.jpg

wildman695

Forager
Jun 17, 2009
Ilfracombe, Devon
really nice spoon, great job. But to be honest I cannot get my head around why so many people would spend hours carving such a thing and once you have a single useable spoon why would you do another. I understand it is a craft but surely whittling can produce many more interesting and more decorative objects. if you want to be really crafty, why not smelt your own iron to make a knife from, or even make your own copper/bronze knife, the fact is we all like a new high tech modern steel knife but is it really in keeping with the ethos. Maybe you should only use tools and implements you make yourself from natural materials gathered yourself.
Hard hat on, standing by for flack. hee hee

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
really nice spoon, great job. But to be honest I cannot get my head around why so many people would spend hours carving such a thing and once you have a single useable spoon why would you do another. I understand it is a craft but surely whittling can produce many more interesting and more decorative objects. if you want to be really crafty, why not smelt your own iron to make a knife from, or even make your own copper/bronze knife, the fact is we all like a new high tech modern steel knife but is it really in keeping with the ethos. Maybe you should only use tools and implements you make yourself from natural materials gathered yourself.
Hard hat on, standing by for flack. hee hee

practice makes perfect.
Why make a bowdrill and light a fire with it when the one you made 10 years ago still works.
Most people carve spoons because they use all the different techniques for carving, so if you can perfect the spoon, you have the skills to carve most anything else.

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Great work Blades! Wildman695- I used to think it was a bit strange how much time some people spent carving spoons until I was sat under a tarp in South Wales for HOURS in the rain. My mate let me use his crook knife and I did a spoon out of oak. When I got home I ordered a crook knife and couldn't wait to find some decent wood for another go.

It's relaxing work and requires little to do it with. Spoons and kuksas are an excuse to use my crook knife! You also learn how to carve wood more effectively when you spend some time doing it. That's my excuse anyway!!!

Tye Possum

Nomad
Feb 7, 2009
Canada
stretch3144 said:
Nice work!
I'd be interested in trying some carving myself.
What tools would I need? Knife obviously!! But what other kit?
Well if it's spoon carving you'll be doing then either a crook (hook) knife or a gouge would be useful for carving out the bowl, although you can make a shallow bowl with just a knife or you can burn the bowl out. Other tools depend on what you'll be doing, whittling for instance only uses a knife but the more complex stuff (what's more considered carving) requires chisels, gouges and a bunch of other tools. For most things though, I would say a piece of wood and a knife is about all you need, though like I said before, a crook knife or gouge can come in handy.

Oh and nice spoon by the way! It looks great.

lamper

Jun 4, 2009
Brighton UK
www.peligra.com
Nice work!
I'd be interested in trying some carving myself.
What tools would I need? Knife obviously!! But what other kit?
Stretch,

If you have a normal knife and just want to get started I recommend making a new set of tent pegs. My scout leader started me out (all those moons ago) with this to get used to basic knife control. Spoons and bowel are simple then.

Also if you are making bowels, don't use a crook knife all the way, use embers or charcoals from your fire to burn out the hole and then tidy up with the knife....

1) Make a small dip with the crook,
2) stick in in dip - let them burn
3) when hole is big enough scrap out crap
4) use crook knife to tidy up.

Ian H

Tenderfoot
Jun 5, 2009
South Wales
spoon looks fantastic mate, love the grain on the handle.

Personally i've only made one spoon, was sat under a tarp in the rain bored with split wood i cut earlier. Looked at one bit and decided to make some tinder, the started carving a round shape, then a handle. In the end it became a spoon, a big spoon but never the less it was my first spoon! I used a mora clipper and spooning knife, i would highly reccomend it, just be carful of what your doing and carry a first aid kit, luckily i only cut myself once with the spooning knife, but it was the "webbed" bit between my thumb and index finger!

I havnt found anything thats more relaxing!!

Blades

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 6, 2009
Aberdeen
I'm not sure if it was birch, the log was quite solid, hollow sounding, quite light, once the bark was taken off the wood had like a green skin. Actually when I look back on it, it was a ridiculous size of log to use for what I ended up with. Must try to be more economical in future. How did you manage to split such a funny shaped log so cleanly in half??

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
I'm not sure if it was birch, the log was quite solid, hollow sounding, quite light, once the bark was taken off the wood had like a green skin. Actually when I look back on it, it was a ridiculous size of log to use for what I ended up with. Must try to be more economical in future. How did you manage to split such a funny shaped log so cleanly in half??

Actually I think someone recommended to me to look for logs/branches with a natural kink in them as it allows for the 'dip' in the spoon. Splitting it was easy as it follows the grain and goes round the kink/bend :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE