Spoon Carving

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Henry_Yorke

Mar 14, 2022
Sussex
Hello all,

I’ve been getting stuck in to some whittling recently but am keen to try and carve a spoon.
Where do folk source their wood?
And what is a suitable learners wood?

Many thanks

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Virtually all wood is good for a spoon. The fresher the better. Some are toxic so avoid cooking with them rhododendron and laurel are nasty. Fruit woods are great Apple Cherry, plum. Hazel and sycamore etc. the joy is playing with different woods learning about their characters.
the YouTube videos will be mainly basswood Which is Lime.
make sure your knives are scary sharp and strop every 15 minutes of carving.

henchy3rd

Settler
Apr 16, 2012
Derby
Virtually all wood is good for a spoon. The fresher the better. Some are toxic so avoid cooking with them rhododendron and laurel are nasty. Fruit woods are great Apple Cherry, plum. Hazel and sycamore etc. the joy is playing with different woods learning about their characters.
the YouTube videos will be mainly basswood Which is Lime.
make sure your knives are scary sharp and strop every 15 minutes of carving.
Seasoned rhododendron wood is ok as it has very low amounts of toxins.
I do believe it’s the leaves & flowers that carry most toxins, so best to wear gloves as the skin can absorb it.
Be interesting what others think?

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
For beginners I always recommend soft woods like hazel, birch or lime because it's a lot easier on your hands and quicker to carve. Save the seasoned fruit wood for when you've got some callouses in the right places and a better feel for what you're doing.

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
You should be able to lay hands on some alder without too much effort. It grows like a weed and is nice & easy to carve.
Try a post on your local sell and seek sites or ask a tree surgeon. Sharp knives are the key to not cutting yourself.

Reactions: punkrockcaveman

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
If you do it with just the bushcraft knife you scratch the wood out of that hole rather than cutting it out. Otherwise you will not get a convincing result.

The hole gets the shape of the belly of your blade.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Hello all,

I’ve been getting stuck in to some whittling recently but am keen to try and carve a spoon.
Where do folk source their wood?
And what is a suitable learners wood?

Many thanks
Next time there's a storm have a wander around afterwards looking for windfall branches.

Also, birch is a good starter wood to have a go with.

Reactions: plastic-ninja

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
Well done on having go at spoons!

Alder would be my first suggestion (its easy to carve and doesn't warp or crack upon drying), get it green if you can, some woods can crack quite early on after cutting, and you might not find out until you have finished the spoon.

More importantly try and get a piece of wood with super straight grain.

At first it's well worth using a saw for neck and crank cuts.

Super sharp tools really help! A good spoon knife is worth it's weight in gold and so is a mora 106!!

Templates are a great help too. At the very least draw yourself a straight centreline for your spoon.

Lastly, zed outdoors does some fab in depth spoon carving vids on youtube

John Elstob

Forager
Aug 18, 2019
Darlington
As already mentioned woods that can be carved, especially for spoons Lime (basswood), Birch, Sycamore, Holly, Beech, Willow and virtually all fruit woods. There is a caveat to carving Beech and Holly more than any of the other woods must be green or it will be like carving granite.
I have just carved the spoon blank from sycamore with a new knife that I got a last weekend. Very impressed with it sharpness not needing to be stropped during the roughing out part of the blank.image.jpgimage.jpg

Reactions: punkrockcaveman

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE