Splitting wedge help

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
I am looking for some splitting wedges. .. anyone know where I can get some cheap? Or know of a frugle alternative??

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I tend to make them as I go. Unless you are after the monster Ally ones for use with a sledge.

Infact I was about to make a few last night to split some elm until if found the corner of my shop where I had been "storing" them all, must have found about 15...

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Made from wood? Not the granade type. A straight wedge for accurate splitting and freeing saws ets

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Good thing about making them your self is you can have varying sizes and angles. They literally take minutes to make. Follow the grain from top to bottom to keep the strength and stick to woods with very tight grain. I have wedges from holly, oak, cherry ash and yew. Strangely enough the yew ones although being soft are very good.
Man with your skills, no problem.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
whittle them up from a piece of hawthron, or elm if you can get it
If you want a metal one I can recommend (after much satisfactory personal use) the bahco ones. They have a slim profile and enter the wood usually first hit, they dont bounce around like the cheap chiese ones do. They are softer than usual, so they do mushroom a bit more readliy, but its swings and roundabouts...

uncleboob

Dec 28, 2012
Coventry and Warwickshire
Don't suppose you happen to have a picky? I would be interested to see whether I'm making mine right. I have pieces of oak probably thumb thick, several inches wide and 6-8 inches long, which are pointed (more of an edge than a point) at one end for splitting. Have worked well so far for bits of splitting and remarkably robust

Cheers, joab

I tend to make them as I go. Unless you are after the monster Ally ones for use with a sledge.

Infact I was about to make a few last night to split some elm until if found the corner of my shop where I had been "storing" them all, must have found about 15...

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Will have a crack at making them. See how i go wiyh those

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Don't suppose you happen to have a picky? I would be interested to see whether I'm making mine right. I have pieces of oak probably thumb thick, several inches wide and 6-8 inches long, which are pointed (more of an edge than a point) at one end for splitting. Have worked well so far for bits of splitting and remarkably robust

Cheers, joab

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2
Will take a few shots when playing tomorrow. Nawt special mind but they work fine,

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE