Split Willow figure tutorial(very pic heavy)

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi folks,on my other post http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91048 i was asked if i would do a tutorial for these things. So i thought i would give it a go.

Well what you will need is a slender Willow shoot of about 80cms long and a knife,which you don't really need to use,as you could just use your thumb nails instead,and tape measure,but again not really necessary.
splitwillowtutorial800x600.jpg

splitwillowtutorial2800x600.jpg

Now you take the shoot,and split it from the thin end.
splitwillowtutorial3800x600.jpg

splitwillowtutorial4800x600.jpg

Once the split is started,lay down your knife and grab the shoot,like the pic below.
As you pull the two parts apart,one side will want to run off,getting thinner as it moves down the shoot,until it becomes so thin that it tapers out.
So the secret to keep the split in the centre is to watch the split, and if it starts to go off centre,all you do is bend the thicker side more,and then the split will re-centre itself. I hope thats clearer than mud.
splitwillowtutorial5800x600.jpg

Split the shoot all the way down,but leave about 4cms intact.
splitwillowtutorial6800x600.jpg

Now turn the split shoot on its side.
splitwillowtutorial7800x600.jpg

Now we start to make the figure.

So,we bend the unsplit end down,this will be the figures back leg.
splitwillowtutorial8800x600.jpg

Then measure about 5cms along from the back leg, this will be the spine of the figure. Next take the uppermost split and bend it down to start the front leg.
splitwillowtutorial9800x600.jpg

Now measure up with your eye and bend this split,(making sure that its the same length as the back leg), back up on itself,bark facing out,to finish off the front leg. You will now have the split sticking up vertical. This we will use later.
splitwillowtutorial10800x600.jpg

Next we will create the body by using the other piece of the split,which will be sticking out horizontally. Now bend this part of the split around the front leg,all the way to the back.
splitwillowtutorial11800x600.jpg

Keep on wraping around to create the body. If you run out of the split then simply push the loose end into the previous row to secure. But most of the time you will have some of the split left,what to do then,is take it back around the front leg,and wrap it up around the body.
splitwillowtutorial13800x600.jpg

Keep wraping,then fold the loose end into the body.
splitwillowtutorial14800x600.jpg

splitwillowtutorial15800x600.jpg

splitwillowtutorial16800x600.jpg

Then trim any loose ends.
splitwillowtutorial17800x600.jpg

Well thats the body complete. This is what it should look like.
splitwillowtutorial18800x600.jpg

Now its time to turn our attention to making the neck and head.

Taking the vertical split measure about 4cms from the shoulder,then bend the split back down.
splitwillowtutorial19800x600.jpg

Then fold it under the body and bring it back up onto the other side. Here we have got the neck made.
splitwillowtutorial20800x600.jpg

So now we make the head. With the split now at the top of the neck,we create a figure 4,which gives us the head shape.
splitwillowtutorial21800x600.jpg

splitwillowtutorial22800x600.jpg

Now bring the split back around the neck,and start to wrap around the figure 4 to fill in the head.
splitwillowtutorial23800x600.jpg

Wrap all the way up the head,then around the neck. Then just push the last piece of the split into the neck to secure.
splitwillowtutorial25800x600.jpg

splitwillowtutorial26800x600.jpg

Last of all trim to make neat.
splitwillowtutorial27800x600.jpg

And now the finished product.
splitwillowtutorial28800x600.jpg

Well i hope that makes some sense,and is of help to some folk.
Thanks for looking Stuart.

Last edited:

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Thanks for the kind comments folks. I usually make these as a thank you to the woods,that have helped me on my outings. So if you ever find yourself sitting by a tree,and you spot one of these tucked in next to the trunk,then fair chance you will know that i to have visited your woodland also.

Thanks again.
Cheers Stuart.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE