Spiritual connection to nature

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chris

Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
Mods: I really intend this to not turn into anything specifically religious, so hope this OK to post.

I find myself feeling a connection to nature. An amazing feeling of trying to let myself become part of nature, rather than trying to overcome it.

I also find certain smells, sounds (including music), physical sensations and sights which make me feel close to the environment I am in.

Personally not a religious person, but I do feel a deep connection to things in a way that I cannot explain. I also feel myself drawn to certain mythologies and traditions - look at things like Norse paganism, Anglo-Saxon paganism, or even non-specific beliefs which people hold around the harvest and the world we live in. They interest me and I respect the attempts to connect with nature.

I’d be really keen to hear what sort of traditions or beliefs people here have which they feel connects them more with the world we live in.

Last edited:
Reactions: crosslandkelly

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Well ………. here goes!

First and up front: where I’m coming from.
I am a Pantheist, Pagan, Postmodern Druid.

(There is a lot of unpacking in each of those words.)

Second, for clarity:
I am not religious, sentimental or superstitious. I do feel that I’m spiritual

I think I understand what you are saying and I too find myself drawn to aspects of (my perceptions of) nature. I’m also drawn to some abstract concepts and thoughts in a similar way - as if they too were things like trees and butterflies.
I am particularly drawn to trees, mountains and to wide skies. The night sky also calls to me in a way that we might agree is spiritual.

As a Pantheist, I understand that the Universe consists of 3.2 x 10 to the power of 80 quarks and that I am 2 x 10 to the power of 22 of them - (well a bit more actually :( ). For me everything is nature but of course I understand that most people use the word to refer to an organic nature and the forces surrounding it, such a that which existed before industrialisation.

It might be useful to explore the term “spiritual”, something I view outside of the religious context but I’ll shut up now and think. I believe that thinking is why I’m here.

Reactions: Chris

gibson 175

Apr 9, 2022
West Yorkshire
Mods: I really intend this to not turn into anything specifically religious, so hope this OK to post.

I find myself feeling a connection to nature. An amazing feeling of trying to let myself become part of nature, rather than trying to overcome it.

I also find certain smells, sounds (including music), physical sensations and sights which make me feel close to the environment I am in.

Personally not a religious person, but I do feel a deep connection to things in a way that I cannot explain. I also feel myself drawn to certain mythologies and traditions - look at things like Norse paganism, Anglo-Saxon paganism, or even non-specific beliefs which people hold around the harvest and the world we live in. They interest me and I respect the attempts to connect with nature.

I’d be really keen to hear what sort of traditions or beliefs people here have which they feel connects them more with the world we live in.
I think this is a great place to be mentally-totally in the moment-not thinking of the past and not worrying about the future.

Reactions: Chris

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I too am not involved in (or convinced by) the organised Religions that I have come across - but I am what is often referred to as a "Spiritualist".
Although recognized in law as a Religion, "Spiritualism" as I recognize it is a personal set of understandings based on personal experience - not something that is at all formulaic or "organized" in any way.
Getting out into natural surroundings - mountains and woodland especially - has helped me through some tough times and has preserved what little mental health I have left and I have seen how being out in the woods has also helped many who have learning disabilities/mental health issues (I have worked as a "Support Worker" at a Care Farm where I spent a lot of time taking the Participants out into the woods).
I really do think that immersion in "The Natural" can give a true Spiritual experience that can help you....
"I lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help" Psalm 121:1 KJB
It seems to be a long recognized effect :)

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I do feel a very strong connection to nature, and always have. Is it a spiritual connection? It depends upon what you mean by spiritual, but I feel that the same spirit that runs through nature is what runs through me, there isn't a real separation, even in my flat I am surrounded by plants and can look out upon trees. I am into bushcraft because of the nature aspect rather than the technology.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE