New to bushcraft - motivated

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

GreenNomad

Tenderfoot
May 5, 2016
Hertfordshire
Hello,

I've been reading threads on this forum for the last few months and thought it would be time to join to gain more knowledge of bushcraft and what it takes to put it to practice.

Like most of you, I have always been an avid watcher of Ray Mears, admiring his personality, skills, and knowledge of survival and bushcraft. This I suppose is my main source of influence, as well as always watching documentaries on other cultures living a natural life style using bushcraft, and developing my own personal admiration for nature and self sufficiency.

I believe that today's society is far from natural, and even if I live within it, I would like to be someone with appreciation and knowledge of the natural world, and how to survive and look after it using my own knowledge and skills

I'm very interested in wildcamping, since this I feel is one of the purest ways of being in connection with nature and living within it. As well as traditional crafts and survival skills. I'm a very practical person, working methodically and logically, and feel I have the aptitude to make bushcraft a part of my life.

Last summer I took my girlfriend to a local woodland, where we practiced minimalist camping, identifying tree's and plants as well as fire making. Using the ethos of 'Leave No Trace'. I would like now to gain more information and skills to practice bushcraft more often! I have been looking at some bushcraft courses which I think would be great for taking a first step into learning new skills.

I will likely be asking questions and looking for as much information as possible!

Thanks,

Chris

GreenNomad

Tenderfoot
May 5, 2016
Hertfordshire
Thanks.

Are there any articles/websites worth knowing for compiled information on bushcraft?

I'm aware of various types of camp fires, but I'm looking for methods on preventing fire spread or root burning when not using stoves, and detailed guides on building fires.

Also looking for information on equipment, I have just purchased a simple TBS Firesteel for 4.95 as my first piece, but looking for appropriate clothing and other useful kit. Looking at the 5.11 Stryke Trousers at the moment..

Last edited:

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Hello and welcome to the forum Chris :)

What parts of Hertfordshire are you based?

Are there any articles/websites worth knowing for compiled information on bushcraft?

Well there's this one for a start :), there's a lot of useful articles you can read through.

I can also recommend Paul Kirtley's blog. There's also McQBushcraft on Youtube that is a good source of information.

GreenNomad

Tenderfoot
May 5, 2016
Hertfordshire
Hello and welcome to the forum Chris :)

What parts of Hertfordshire are you based?

Well there's this one for a start :), there's a lot of useful articles you can read through.

I can also recommend Paul Kirtley's blog. There's also McQBushcraft on Youtube that is a good source of information.

I'm based around Hitchin/Stevenage.

Yes I've been going through the forums threads for awhile now. Ahh I totally missed the articles section on here - I'll take a look! I also found Paul Kirtleys blog earlier so have started going through it. I'll have to have a ganders at the YouTube videos soon.

Thanks for your help

GreenNomad

Tenderfoot
May 5, 2016
Hertfordshire
I'm in Hitchin Hertfordshire.

Ahhh I completely missed the Articles page, I had found Paul Kirtleys blog yesterday so have been going through it. I'll take a look at YouTube asap

Thanks for your response,

Chris

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE