Sperm Whale Teeth

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Clark

Forager
Jul 18, 2007
Aberdeen
I have 2 sperm whale teeth in good condition, unpolished and not carved or scrimshawed.
Was going to sell them but that's proving impossible so thought i'd put them up here.
Not really sure what to swap them for so feel free if you fancy the teeth to make offers of items. Random objects like banjos are very welcome also :)

daved

Forager
Aug 1, 2005
London
I might be wrong but aren't sperm whale teeth covered by the prohibition on trade of endangered species? If so then I am not surprised you weren't able to sell them as you probably need permits. I think "swaps" or other payments-in-kind are probably pretty dodgy too. Best check the legal position before you do anything or anyone takes up on your offer.

How did you come by them?

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I wonder if they come under the same "trading" laws as Elephant Ivory?, ie if over a certain age, it's perfectly ok - anyone care to clarify?

Clark

Forager
Jul 18, 2007
Aberdeen
I've had the teeth for years, they're from my grandfather as far as i remember. They're really old and this means i am able to sell them as antiques but unfortunately the likes of ebay and the like need a cert to say that they haven't been taken illegally. I don't see the problem with swapping them myself but i'll probably delete this thread tomorrow if it hasn't gone by then already lol. Failing this i will sell them in japan as they don't seem to have any problem dealing with dead whale bits and pieces.

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
I have 2 sperm whale teeth in good condition, unpolished and not carved or scrimshawed.
Was going to sell them but that's proving impossible so thought i'd put them up here.
Not really sure what to swap them for so feel free if you fancy the teeth to make offers of items. Random objects like banjos are very welcome also :)

if your interested ill swap them for one of my handmade bushcraft knives and handle it up
with scales cut from one of the teeth,that way you'll still have part of them

bernie

Clark

Forager
Jul 18, 2007
Aberdeen
Bernie, that sounds like something i'd be interested in as the one thing i'm lacking is a decent knife. I'll give you a pm tomorrow and let you know.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
From what I can make out Whale teeth come under Ivory trade laws and if that's the case only items that have been carved before 1947 can be sold and they have to have proof of age documents or a certificate issued by Defra.

A complete ban on ivory was introduced in 1990

In the UK it is illegal to re-work ivory if it's got a commercial use, it has to have been worked before 1947, so you could make something for your own use but not something connected to being sold.

I've not come across anything that describes plain ivory, although I presume that it's covered by the 1947 rule. You would have to prove that the piece is older than that, or it has the correct documentation because it's been harvested by a recognised source.

If anyone has a definitive answer to this let me know, I'll shut it for now as it seems like dodgy ground to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE