Spear fishing laws?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Does spear fishing come under the same ruling as hunting an animal with a spear? (ie illegal)
I would assume so but as you wouldn't necessarily be throwing the spear, it may be acceptable. :confused:

I must admit, I find all the rules a bit hard to follow, especially as I don't know where to find them. :rolleyes:
Anyone know where I can get access to them for myself?

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
From what I understand, very basically they come under the same guise as Harpoon guns i.e. you can use them in the sea but not on/in inland waters.

Somebody on here'll be able to confirm but i'd say that's a pretty good rule of thumb.

Cheers,

Bam.

ronsos

Forager
Dec 10, 2004
try rivercottage.net forum .they have a marine larder/foraging section.lots of good stuff.

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
bambodoggy said:
From what I understand, very basically they come under the same guise as Harpoon guns i.e. you can use them in the sea but not on/in inland waters.

Somebody on here'll be able to confirm but i'd say that's a pretty good rule of thumb.

Cheers,

Bam.
Wow, didn't know that... so theoretically you could hunt Inuit style, harpoon and kayak, in the UK? If you could find the fish lol :rolleyes:

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
arctic hobo said:
Wow, didn't know that... so theoretically you could hunt Inuit style, harpoon and kayak, in the UK? If you could find the fish lol :rolleyes:

You could.....but I think you'd get some funny looks in your sealskins paddling round and out of Teignmouth harbour Matey! lol ;)

Actually in all seriousness, even if I'm totally wrong about spears you could always paddle just off shore and into international waters and do what you like there :D

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I didn't think that even the Inuit tried to harpoon fish on the ocean, thought that was all sea mammals, and even if you are way off shore I bet you would get hammered if you went and brought in a seal!

As a way of catching dinner, I would have rated spear fishing in the sea below hook and line, and way below nets. If you look at most groups that spear fish in the sea, either it is done in shallow, clear, water by wading, or by diving.

I think I would have deep misgivings about consuming any fish that was too slow, sick or stupid to avoid me paddling up to it and poking it with a pointy stick! :eek: :D

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
to the best of my knolage its legal (i think bam was right "you can use them in the sea but not on/in inland waters.")
i used to spear flatties with a fork on a bamboo and no one ever said anything..(i know that doesnt make it legal) but there are noticibly less fish around now so i leave them to it!

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
I have been "treading" for fluke,with a pointy stick, in the Dee many years ago. Problem was as I stood on them I jumped out of my skin as soon as they moved,never caught a thing!

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
C_Claycomb said:
I didn't think that even the Inuit tried to harpoon fish on the ocean, thought that was all sea mammals, and even if you are way off shore I bet you would get hammered if you went and brought in a seal!

True and true :(

As a way of catching dinner, I would have rated spear fishing in the sea below hook and line, and way below nets. If you look at most groups that spear fish in the sea, either it is done in shallow, clear, water by wading, or by diving.

I think I would have deep misgivings about consuming any fish that was too slow, sick or stupid to avoid me paddling up to it and poking it with a pointy stick! :eek: :D
I don't know why but you made me think of spearing fat tourist swimmers :D

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Thanks guys.

Sorry for not replying earlier as I've been a bit short on time to check BCUK recently (I'm working through 17 pages of new posts!)

I'll go pester the river cottage folk (been too busy for them too)

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Aha, hadn't spotted this thread. No speargun usage in inland waters, that blows apart the loophole I was thinking of in the bowfishing discussion. :rolleyes:

Artic Hobo. You'd get on well with Ragi over on paleoplanet. His signature is:
"(if it is tourist season why cant we hunt them)"
:D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE