Spalting wood help

Hammock Hamster

Feb 17, 2012
Kent
Hi All,

I have occasionally come across some really nice spalted wood when I am out wandering that is particularly good for carving.

My understanding is spalting occurs as part of the decay/decomposition process prior to full rot setting in.

Does anyone know of a way to force spalting in fresh cut wood as I would like to see if u can create my own supply for caring projects.

All the best, Hamster

Hammock Hamster

Feb 17, 2012
Kent
Spalting is caused by a fungus infecting the wood rather than decomposition

Ah that makes sense as most of the spalted wood I have come across has been in good condition and not punky etc...
I know you can cultivate fungus (mushrooms) with spore kits, would it be possible to do the same thing with the type of fungus that causes spalting and if so would this be a reasonably safe/easy thing to do?

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Fungal decomposition does eventually result in wood failure.

Pieces of spalted wood in a plastic bag in contact with the new fresh wet pieces of wood can be used as a source of fungus "innoculum."

Baelfore

Life Member
Jan 22, 2013
Ireland
For this reason I often leave out some wood in the rain/exposed to the elements for a few months when i have plenty. for example I have a few bits of apple at the mo sitting in the corner of a flower bed. just in a general damp area of the garden, to encourage fungal growth, But as red says it's more a fungal infection that rotting, so while this will sometimes give me a nice result on the grain, other times I just end up with some punky wood. its sheer luck.

hope this helps.

Ste

Last edited:

Hammock Hamster

Feb 17, 2012
Kent
Thanks all really useful and like the look of the website HH I will definitely be giving it a go.

Hamster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE