SPalted Beech and Snakewood for Scales...?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
Hi,
Thinking of using either Spalted Beech or Snakewood to make a set of scales for a couple of knives.

The Spalted Beech is 30x30 minimum so after the cut i should have two scales @ around 14 mm each, is this plenty to work with? Also, what is this material like to work with...ie, is it ok for knife scales, too soft maybe?..?

Spalted Beech.
_57.JPG%20%20spalted%20Beech_zpss3cmaxlc.jpg

And, Snakewood (Brosimum guianense)..This comes in around 12mm max per scale.

The wood has been air-dried for almost two years - the first 18 months as solid logs, since Jan 2015 as half logs and was re-sawn into billets and scale sets in March 2015.

"Further drying and stabilization in a controlled workshop environment before use is advised".

Question is, how long and how do i dry and stabilize it...or should i leave that to the experts and move on to something that's been drying longer...I like this wood but it is rather pricey @£20 a set...maybe i'm just comparing other less exotic woods when pricing mind you.?

_57.JPG%20Snakewood_zpsof6cixgz.jpg

As i said, I like Both Woods, i'm sure once oiled they will look fantastic...So anyone like to add some input for a novice to get started,..Both these knives will be Christmas gifts for my Sons...No Pressure then.. :rolleyes:

Cheers..S

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
the beech is too soft. It will need stabilising first.

OK, Cheers,
Pity, as i liked the look of it..Maybe have to look at other option. Personally i would just use ash, nothing fancy, just a good reliable wood. any suggestions on other wood choices..?
I dont want to be spending fortunes as this will be my first attempt, I will be sanding and shaping by Hand. ?

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
That is a pity as that spalted beech is a lovely looking piece of timber. The snakewood is nice too. What sort of knives are you making? It may help with the choice of wood. If it was a puko type say you may be inclined towards something like curly birch.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Snakewood is nice but be cautious of spontaneous cracks. It has a tendencey to just move one day, months or years down the line and have little cracks. I now wouldn't use it in big sections or on hard use knives personally. :) (at least not on knives for other people)

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
That is a pity as that spalted beech is a lovely looking piece of timber. The snakewood is nice too. What sort of knives are you making? It may help with the choice of wood. If it was a puko type say you may be inclined towards something like curly birch.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

I'm putting handles on a couple of Bushcraft Woody Blades by our very own Mark Hill..HillBill..I just remembered i know a Luthier who might have some Exotic woods laying around...He's Defo got some Mahogany, Maple, Rosewood and Ebony...I'll give him a shout and see what off cuts he has...I might just have solved my problem..

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I'd be tempted to use the Beech on one of them and give it a couple of coats of superglue when finished. I've seen this be very successful, and at the very worst you might have to re-handle it sometime down the road.

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
I'd be tempted to use the Beech on one of them and give it a couple of coats of superglue when finished. I've seen this be very successful, and at the very worst you might have to re-handle it sometime down the road.

What i dont want is a shiny glossy handle...I would prefer just a natural wood feel on the handle for safety as much as anything...Sweat and glossy handles can = Slippage.

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
I'll Speak with my mate in the next week or so, he might have some Birdseye Maple or a nice flame Maple tucked away in a corner of the workshop...I would settle for Mahogany or Ebony if he has some off cuts that are no use to him.

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Wood hardner works quite well, I made a vacuum flask with the reverse blower on a vacuum cleaner on top of a tupperware container as it sucks the air out and the hardener in.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE