Spain

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
Hello everybody! :)

I´m going to stay in Spain for a while this autumn (working), and I want to know if any of you have been out hiking in Spain?
Do you have any advise for me before I go running about down there? :)

I´m considering walking the route of the Nasrids or the Caliphates while I´m there, but I don´t know much about the rules of camping.
Does anyone know if you are allowed to camp with your own tent wherever you want, or are there restrictions I should know about?
I would prefer to bring my own tent on this route, but if it is not possible I´ll find accommodations along the route.
I am Scandinavian, so I will not do this in the middle of the summer....

I am grateful for any advise, except from staying home ;)

Cheers!

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Hello

I have hiked/walked across much of the North and North East of Spain, also through Extremadura and the Picos de Europa. I think some of your Caliphate route will take you through Extremadura and the Nasrid route will take you through similar although more hilly country.

Advice?

I am led to believe that wild camping of the 'take nothing but photographs and leave nothing but footprints' is generally tolerated, however there are big regional differences, with some regions enforcing a total ban on any kind of wild camping, while others are less strict.
As far as I am aware camping in National Parks isn't allowed and there are rangers to enforce this.

Having an open fire will get you in serious bother, there are extreme fire risks across most of the country.

Accommodation is generally cheap as are campsites.

When I have camped out I have used a low slung tarp and only put it up at dusk and struck camp at first light.

Mosquitoes and ants are a serious problem, a net will be needed.

The heat, even in the autumn can be a killer, always pack plenty of water.

Sudden, very heavy rains and flash floods are possible, camp in sensible locations.

The food is fabulous, expect to put on weight.

If you have the money, stay at the Parador de Granada hotel, it is situated in the gardens of the Alhambra.

Be sure to have a good few useful Spanish phrases memorised.

Have fun and let us know how you get on.

:)

Good advice there. Fancy that trip too.

This Spain in this book doesn't exist anymore, but for romantic inspiration you could get inspired by reading the excellent... "As I walked out one midsummer's morning" by Laurie Lee...

51vAVed1uwL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_SX385_SY500_CR,0,0,385,500_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Attachments

• 51vAVed1uwL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_SX385_SY500_CR,0,0,385,5.jpg
    51vAVed1uwL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_SX385_SY500_CR,0,0,385,5.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 5

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
Thank you very much for good advise sandbender!
It will be a trip with my camera as my siamese twin, and I´m looking forward to see this side of Spain. I´m usually stuck in the riding arena.
I hope I will be on my way late this autumn, so I need to start the serious part of the planning now ;)

DavidJT: I always appreciate a good book! I will check this one up :) Thanks!

franglais

Tenderfoot
Jun 4, 2013
France
As far as I can remember it's illegal to camp within 5km of a campsite in Spain, and you are not allowed to camp by a river, the rules seem to be set up to deter gypsies rather than hikers, as Sandbender says floods can be a problem, maybe finding a book listing campsites might be an idea.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE