Southwest Scotland walkabout

huntersforge

Oct 14, 2006
southern scotland
I set out this morning to check some new areas for a future few days off the grid. As I knew one of the areas was next to a small hill loch I packed my lightweight fishing kit .
All in all it was a nice day to be out and will soon be returning to this remote and unspoilt spot. The brown trout I caught was returned safe and sound.

DSCF0467.jpg

DSCF0455.jpg

DSCF0456.jpg

DSCF0461.jpg

DSCF0457.jpg

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
Nice pics
a taster for me I am returning to my home county of Galloway at the start of August for a fortnight and one of the things I am doing is walking the southern upland way from Newton Stewart to Dalry taking in Merrick on the way.
What are the midges like at the moment?

JAG009

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
Looks like a nice wee stroll you had, and a good bit of fishing ,but do tell what kind of rod is that your using, and does it come in that rod tube or is that just a standard rod tube cut to size

Cheers

Jason

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
What are the midges like at the moment?

Horrendous mate, well they were a couple of weeks ago. Bad enough to make us move camp at 9pm and search for a windy exposed beach.

A Beatons midge jacket and plenty of Wilmas Nordic Summer did help though.

huntersforge

Oct 14, 2006
southern scotland
The rod is a Mitchell graphite 5 piece travel rod which is about 5 1/2ft long. The reel is a Mitchell 308X. Both were imported from the states years ago. The rod tube is a piece of brown downpipe with an aerosol cap on the end,simple but effective.

huntersforge

Oct 14, 2006
southern scotland
ooooo, Thank you that is indeed helpful.

Where did you find yours? And how dose it handle?

A friend of mine brought it back from america for me, I saw the shimano exage set up on the woodlore website years ago and really fancied one but it was way too expensive . It handles great, the largest fish I have had with it was a pike about 3lb,which was a bit of a shock as I was after trout.

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
A friend of mine brought it back from america for me, I saw the shimano exage set up on the woodlore website years ago and really fancied one but it was way too expensive . It handles great, the largest fish I have had with it was a pike about 3lb,which was a bit of a shock as I was after trout.

I am searching like mad for one right now, I am not a fan of Telescopic rod's they are cheep and nasty and I need a nice 5/6ft travel rod for my bag.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE