south yorkshire meet?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

big_daddy_merc

Forager
Apr 9, 2007
chesterfield
Does any one fancy doing a south yorkshire meet? I'd do it but I don't really know of any spots to do bushcrafty things:confused: , well not for a group of us anyway:D

Neanderthal

Dec 2, 2004
Cheshire
I suspect this would be a very popular meet if someone can find a venue.
Count me in.

How about a meet up for the day?

Stu

S

shaunmcdonald

Not sure if this might help but i know the farmer at Hundall lets the Peak and Dukeries Landrover Club use the woods there for the Interclub Trial it is normally over a 3 day weekend. Might be worth checking out.
Its the Farm across from the pub on the corner 'The Miners' it think.

Sep 28, 2005
Hi

Id be very interested in a south yorkshire meet overnight or just for the day

as i have trouble getting the time to travel far due to work/family commitments

so the closer to Doncaster the better for me.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I will speak to my contact up at the Silverwood Scout Camp, they have it opened up for a biker weekend every year so I don't see why it couldn't be opened for a bushcraft weekend. Only problem is that the scout camp itself doesn't own the surrounding woodland, and there isn't a lake to speak of anywhere near it like Delamere. On the upside, the other side of the fence is where I shoot rabbits and I saw a kestrel up there the other day, and I have seen a fox there aswell, along with an owl and a couple of pheasants.

Mainly, I think it would be a good site for practising skill sets other than bumming around in the woods. The woods next to the camp are open to the general public and as a result they use it to walk their dogs. many don't clear up, so it's a dodgy bit of woodland, OK in the colder months as many don't go up there but during te summer it seems to be a bad area for dog mess. The camp site itself is good though. I'll try and get some pictures up.

Neanderthal

Dec 2, 2004
Cheshire
There have been a number of threads regarding Derbyshire/Peak District meets but there is a definate lack of venues available for a weekend.

How about day meets in the area? This would also allow folks to get out who can't make the whole weekend due to family or other commitments.

The local bushcrafters can introduce others to their 'local' woods etc. and maybe we could sample the local fermented brew. :)

What do folks think?

Stu

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
A day meet would be good, to take full advantage it would need to be an early start, or a possible camp over to start the day in the location, but it sounds like a good idea to me.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Has anymore happened on this lately ???

I regularly use a local (ish) scout camp set in 40 acres of privately owned woodland ;) near Bradford, West Yorks. I`ll make some enquiries next time I contact them regarding us maybe setting up a meet there. I`ve just looked on the website and the calendar is pretty full this year all the way up until early November, I can`t see why later on would be a problem though.
It`s a great spot for one or two folks but there are public footpaths disecting the land all over the place so I`m not sure how a large group would work. There is the possibility of using the actual scout camp grounds which are fenced off. There are timber out buildings here also which might spoil the view but on the plus side there are toilet blocks and fresh water on hand. Not very native I know but they are there should one feel the urge.
When I go on my own or with a mate we usually get down the bottom end where the cover is good and there`s also a chance of viewing badgers & foxes etc. :27: :27:

I`m not promising but watch this space you northerners

Rich

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE