Sourcing timber for external use - what to get and where?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I need to replace some woodwork on a barge.

It isn't structural and I can't afford hardwood prices at the likes of Howarth timber. All they offer is 'redwood' or 'whitewood'. Most of the boat's external wood is good quality pine.

Trouble is, I'm having difficulty finding this. Cladding in larch is available, but not 25mmx75mm sections or similar from anywhere I can see.

Anyone have any suggestions? I'm in North Yorkshire.

didicoy

Mar 7, 2013
fens
Your best bet is to keep asking around in the boat building industry. Wood is bought in and stored/seasoned. Wood is available, just not off the shelf at B&Q. Years ago I built horsedrawn carts and ash being the timber of choice, came in from America through woodyards. However coffin makers of all suppliers, were the ones I frequently got supplies from here in the UK. You really need to keep up with your enquiries. Someone, somewhere will have what you need for sale. Phone boat yards up and ask for contacts.

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Ash is really not durable outside though. This is something exposed year round.

I visited Howarth timber for some other wood and their 'redwood' pine was better quality than I expected so it might be ok, given sufficient decent varnish. I'll be able to varnish this all round before fixing in place.

Mike313

Nomad
Apr 6, 2014
South East
If I may ask a question (my ignorance on the subject of wood is embarrassing - I really must do some reading) but could you have the 'redwood pine' wood pressure-treated or vacuum-treated with preservatives after you've cut/profiled them and varnish over that?

didicoy

Mar 7, 2013
fens
Ash is really not durable outside though. This is something exposed year round.

I visited Howarth timber for some other wood and their 'redwood' pine was better quality than I expected so it might be ok, given sufficient decent varnish. I'll be able to varnish this all round before fixing in place.
Yes your right. I was referring to ash that I needed for flexibility when building horse drawn vehicles. I was thinking we would have an abundance of English ash for sale in our woodyards. Suprised to find only imported American Ash. I really don't know much about boat building but you really need to stick to the tried and tested timers.

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
It is the trim around a sliding hatch on the top. Very gentle slope to it and nearly metres long (if it were just a little bit I'd buy some oak from Howarth timber). The trim not only forms part of the 'groove' that the hatch (perspex) slides in, it holds down some of the vinyl covering over the wooden roof boarding.

didicoy

Mar 7, 2013
fens
This is just a thought, some years ago a fiend dropped off a lot of tropical (imported hardwood) from a job they were working on. They were fitting new modern plastic or aluminium glassed window units into a large commercial property. The window frame sills they removed were made of this (hardwood resembling mahogany) it was only varnished and not deteriorated at all. It may have only been on the building for ten years. Being commercial windows the thickness of this wood was twice that of domestic wooden windows. I took the wood and ran it through the circular saw and planer. It was absolutely wonderful quality. Very dense and perfect for outdoor all weather exposure. It may be worth looking at the salvage market if you only need short lengths.

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
If you were closer I'd drop you off some oak .

If it's 3"x1" what's the length?

It really depends on the length , but you can drop into any joinery shop near you , ( not timber supplies) or saw mill and see what offcuts they may have kicking about...
You'l be surprised .

Not only you'll find what you want , but you probably won't spend half of what the merchant sells it at.

If it's under 2 metres most joiners would have something or other kicking around the workshop.

You know, in that corner of the workshop ...Just in case ...😏

As far as timbers go, oak and elm are the best you'll get for your barge , but iroko, sapele and the timbers used these days for sills on external door frames are good hardwood , very good in all weathers and a fraction of the premium price of oak and larch .

It sounds to me , that if it's not structural , then hardwood is not necessary.

You can buy fairly decent pine from your local builders merchants , or like Travis Perkins or Buildbase type of place , and get your standard door lining material (28mm thickness ) you can buy it at chosen length (1.2 metres minimum) and comes in 4" 1/4 or 5" 1/4.

No packs , you buy what you want ...Just one length of 1.2M if that's what you need , it will cost less than £20
4 and a quarter and 5 and a quarter inches I believe...

Coat that with a damn good preserver and stain to match the rest and it's done.

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Not structural, I need to measure up, I think I'll need lengths of about 1.5m.

Resistance to rot is what I'm after. 'Matching' isn't so essential, I do need to identify and choose some decent varnish, there is a lot to be redone. Getting decent varnish is getting harder without having to order in. The low VoC water based stuff is simply not worth touching.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
If you want resistance to rot, i would go with a piece of Ipe decking. You can get it with reeding or un-reeded, and in various widths etc. As it is decking the price is reasonable and it is very, very rotproof, whether finished or not. It is also quite a nice chocolate brown in most cases when finished. The only real drawback is that it has a tendency to blunt edged tools and is quite hard to sand, but that goes with the rot resistance. As decking is still quite popular, it isn't difficult to find in bigger timber chains like Champions Timber.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE