SotP tarp review

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
OMG not another one from him!! Had a couple of hours this morning so I'm sorry to say another tarp review!! First up, The Song of the Paddle Tarp at 4mx3.3m. Magikelly has been after a tarp this size for quite some time and talks about it in some
wink.gif
detail here. The full review is in my blog here but a pretty good tarp, slightly odd sizing but does a good job as both a hammock tarp and a group shelter.

P7180013.jpg

Cheers,

Alan

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
I may as well jump in with a couple of comments ;)

Chainsaw said:
Weight is a shade over 1kg.

Having posted quite a few of these now I can confirm they are a shade over 1.2kg when in a plastic envelope.

Chainsaw said:
Eyelets can be quite emotive things, some people like them, some don't mind them. I'm in the 'don't mind them' camp, not really found a use for them other than pegging directly to the ground. In my opinion and limited experience guying to a eyelet is usually a bad idea as the pull of the guy can distort the eyelet making it pop out of the hole.

I am not a fan of eyelets and would never guy from them. This was something that was on the first sample and not on the next one but somehow ended up on the finished ones. That said the manufacturer does seem to have done these very securely and with the webbing on both sides I would expect them to be pretty secure but as I said I would still use the tabs and will probably ask for the eyelets to be omitted if I am placing another order.

Chainsaw said:
As I understand it most of this type of material comes in 3 metre widths

Actually 1.5m widths which is why their is usually a seem along the ridge and the seem allowance means you end up with a 2.85m wide tarp.

Thanks for posting the review. Of course this is the first batch of these I have had made so it will be interesting to hear how people get on with them in the long term.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE