Sorry I'm whinging

kawasemi

May 27, 2009
Where the path takes me
:aargh4::aargh4::aargh4: Is it just me...

There are a few interesting items in the sales at the moment but the biggest 'turn-off' for me are the adds that just say...

£XXX plus post

...so I have to pm to find out the actual cost, and then find out payment method, and then discover if the seller accepts paypal and if so did he include the cost (should have done but you know how these discussions go :rolleyes:)...but they don't log in too regular so you wait days to get the answer before you can decide if you are happy with the actual cost of the item...

...and then I lose interest, fall asleep, and the seller has lost a buyer...goodnight :sleeping::sleeping::sleeping:

K :eek:

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
Oddly enough, I find those ads that the OP mentions to be really helpful rather than irritating because if a potential seller really can't get it together or be bothered to be clear about the real/total price, then to me it indicates and has time and time again, here and elsewhere, proven that they are often a royal pain in the butt to deal with in terms of the item itself and delays in getting round to shipping.
If it's something I really, really want then it means I not only ask for clarification not only about total price, but timescales and insist on trackable shipping along with making sure I only pay with PayPal goods.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Oddly enough, I find those ads that the OP mentions to be really helpful rather than irritating because if a potential seller really can't get it together or be bothered to be clear about the real/total price, then to me it indicates and has time and time again, here and elsewhere, proven that they are often a royal pain in the butt to deal with in terms of the item itself and delays in getting round to shipping.
If it's something I really, really want then it means I not only ask for clarification not only about total price, but timescales and insist on trackable shipping along with making sure I only pay with PayPal goods.

I wonder how many rucksacks you haven't bought because of bad seller listings?? :D

didicoy

Mar 7, 2013
fens
I've bought many items from many members over the years. I've found the sale price and subsequent associated cost to be clear and precise. I've not experienced any awkward of difficult sales and have found all sellers that Ive dealt with to be extremely punctual and very helpful. Maybe the lack of photos is a issue, but if they include a link to similar products, I find that sufficient with a brief discription. I tend to read all the for sale post too. Maybe I will start to notice those not so clearly posted.
Regarding add on's. I'm just thankful it's not the same as ebay and this is more a transaction amongst potential friends.

KenThis

Settler
Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
I sort of have to agree with the OP.
I've bought a few things from people on the forums, not for a while though.
I've definitely noticed recently a lot more threads that have the pricing more complicated than £xxx shipped to UK.
It might just be me being thrifty but the majority of things I've bought seem to have been bargains, that is the seller seems to be moving on gear they no longer want or need. Advertised well and priced super competitively with the postage included makes the items a steal.
Some of the blades in particular that have been posted up recently appear to be more collectors pieces and seemingly priced accordingly. It might just be me but when I see total prices shipped I think people getting rid of gear, but when I see £xx plus shipping plus paypal etc. I assume it's more of a business. I'm more into bargains to play with than collecting stuff for display so it kind of makes it easier to sort through.
The other thing I've noticed are newer people posting stuff for sale that haven't posted much in the threads, this is another kind of red flag as I assume those people are buying and selling on multiple sites to make a profit. Best of Luck to them but not really for me.
When I'm buying things on the forums it's either because it's unique or because it's a real bargain, otherwise I'd rather buy new from a trusted retailer.
I'm paranoid though.

Phil B

Settler
Jan 28, 2006
Beverley, Yorkshire.
Agree with OP entirely.

It's been 2 days since I said yes please to such a listing, and the response so far was that he/she will check with PO to get costs. So I told him/her the likely costs.

Still waiting. 2 days.

I'm now at the point of saying forget it. As mentioned above, it might well be a good litmus test as to the seller.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE