Something to watch: Alone in the Wild

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Friend of mine sent me this link a little while ago. Neat little show about a guy who goes to the Yukon to try and survive in the wild alone from summer till winter. I'm about halfway through it now, and it's pretty good. Thought I would share it.

[video=youtube;FPbz5TDy6fs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPbz5TDy6fs[/video]

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I quite enjoyed it too, the bear fascination thing got a bit boring after a while but at least he gave it a go.

Lots of factors going against him too which kind of curbed his chance of success, but what an opportunity, I'd do it tomorrow if I could.

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
I remember enjoying this, and feeling some of the emotions with him, the bear thing would definately stop me from doing it there!

It appears he had a bit of a breakdown, and i have not heard anything of him since, does anyone know if he got himself back on track, what he has done between then and now, or where is he now?

Ivan...

udamiano

On a new journey
I seen him on a programme not so long back, talking about it. even after 4 years he still looks a shadow of himself before he went. However he sounded and acted like he put it behind him and was looking to the future. He is doing the Shackleton documentary where they follow in Shackletons footsteps using the same basic equipment and boats. been following it, and I must say well worth the watch

Last edited:

Corfe

Dec 13, 2011
Northern Ireland
I wouldn't knock the bear thing tbh. Camping out in the Catskills one night I was filling my water bottle at a wee lake and saw a black bear walking round the edge of it towards me about 100 yards away. It was almost dusk and it freaked me out - spent the rest of the night feeding a rather large fire! Now my only regret is that I hadn't taken a decent camera.

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
I seen him on a programme not so long back, talking about it. even after 4 years he still looks a shadow of himself before he went. However he sounded and acted like he put it behind him and was looking to the future. He is doing the Shackleton documentary where they follow in Shackletons footsteps using the same basic equipment and boats. been following it, and I must say well worth the watch

Cheers, i actually did the right thing and googled him! Seems like he has been very busy since, just remember thinking, oh dear, he has done some lasting damage with this one, who knows? But reading all the other stuff he has done since, sounds all good.

Ivan...

nettles150390

Forager
Nov 7, 2013
High Melton, Doncaster
i remember this was a good show both to show the mental aspects of being alone, and the survival aspect of it. though to be fair he was abit stupid. towards the end it was getting to a real survival situation. id have killed that caribou regardless

nettles150390

Forager
Nov 7, 2013
High Melton, Doncaster
i think one of the best parts of thte show for me, was when he was in the hotel in the end. just looking round at the tv and bed and microwave(?) and how he was like i don't understand why we need nor have this stuff. it kinda ran it home for me how much crap we really have in our daily lives that we don't actually need.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I wouldn't knock the bear thing tbh. Camping out in the Catskills one night I was filling my water bottle at a wee lake and saw a black bear walking round the edge of it towards me about 100 yards away. It was almost dusk and it freaked me out - spent the rest of the night feeding a rather large fire! Now my only regret is that I hadn't taken a decent camera.

Blacks will most likely see you and wander off in the opposite direction

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
He who does not fall, can not rise. Don't you think just trying and doing your best. Is an achievement.

Well said Ammo, 90% of the members on here could and would not do it, i shuddered at certain points in that film, i certainly couldn't do it, i would have had a go in my early 20's, but probably would have failed too.

Ivan...

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
He made some strange decisions, no doubt influenced by his failing health and mindset.

I would've stopped at his first campsite for a start, but the part when he was hauling himself through the forest with that huge pack nearly had me shouting at the tele, just lash together three or four of those blow downs and he could have paddled quite easily along the shoreline.

CheeseMonster

Forager
Dec 11, 2006
Shropshire
If I remember correctly he was trying to meet the salmon as they entered the lake at the river at the other end.

Of course therefore maybe the first camp site should have been there. But I really enjoyed the programme the last time I watched it none the less.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE