Some very basic bushcraft camp questions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hey

So I'm just learning the basics, have been watching lots of videos and reading online. I've also been out and made a tarp shelter.

My current gear is just a knife and tarp (plus normal camping gear).

Anyhow my main questions are:

1. How do you locate a safe place to camp and have a fire? I know the obvious stuff about making space around the fire and above, etc, but some people say to avoid certain types of tree incase of heavy wind

2. In wet weather what common types of tinder, kindling and main fuel should I be looking for?

3. I will be taking a lighter, but if I wanted to make a bow drill for fun and try and start a fire that way what types of wood can I use?

4. Lots of people seem to carry axes, but are you allowed to chop down trees in public access woodland?

5. What are the best books out there for foraging and wild edibles?

Thanks very much for your help.

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
1. Don't place your fire on anywhere with peat, or with a lot of pine needles. Admittedly in my trip photos there are pine needles in the ground but my usual spot has a lined fire pit and I have express permission. Any areas with large trees with obvious dead branches are best avoided in high winds, or at least be aware of them.

2.natural tinder in wet conditions is a toughy, either carry some birch bark, car tail, tinder fungi etc with you or try to find some dry stuff. Keeping damp tinder in your pockets for a few hours can be helpful. Synthetic firefighters work fine in the wet, as does inner tubing, esbit etc. Most of them are waterproof. Firecord is supposedly really good (read quicktoxicgeek and her review of it)

3. Hazel works well, and is easy to find in British woodland. Most woods will actually work, Remeber you need a stiff bow and hard woods. Prep is more important than materials.

4. In a word, no. You can't just cut down wood in public access woodland. You need express permission of either the landowner or woodland manager. Wild campsites you pay for are the best bet, then you KNOW you have permission. Axes are still useful for processing wood that's already fallen though, as are machetes.

5. Collins food for free is a good pocket guide. There's another I forget the name of, toddy advised another member to buy it and after having a quick flick through it with him the other day it looks a really useful guide

Hope that helps
Also re your other thread. You could do worse than a surplus "bouncing bomb" arctic bag

Last edited:

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Safe places:

Look around you! You'd probably spot if your tent was on a railway line. But it might be in a dry river bed, and rain might be forecast. The trees around you have probably been there longer than you've lived, so most of the time they'll be safe, but as mick91 mentioned strong winds can unexpectedly dislodge things that have been around for a while. If you sleep in the forest, look up first. They don't call them 'widowmakers' for nothing. Rocks can fall too, and it might be from frost not wind. Some places warn about it by the roadside. I live in an area like that.
I like to find places that are at least a little sheltered from the worst of the elements, but I'd steer clear of caves for example. A spot some way up a gentle slope by a good, old, solid stone wall might suit, especially if there are no trees within a hundred yards.

Wood and Fires:

The problem is that there are now so many of us humans that if we all went around chopping down random trees, soon there'd be none left. So the dwindling resource has to be managed, and this is recognized by the law.
You absolutely can't go around chopping down trees or taking branches from them willy-nilly. With few exceptions they'll be no good to burn anyway, the wood won't be dry. In some places you can't even go around collecting fallen branches.
Don't forget that what looks like a pile of dead wood to you is actually a home for myriad creatures that collectively keep you and me alive. I make piles of such wood specifically for those creatures.

You need permission to have a fire. Most places you won't have permission. You can more often use a wood-burning stove or a fire pit. There are many kinds available commercially and you can make one easily. There are many examples of both on BCUK.
Little stoves are vastly more efficient for cooking (and heating) than a ground fire, so you'll use a lot less fuel to get the job done. You can make a fire pit with a steel baking tray or an old ammo box, it's much more manageable than a ground fire.
If you have a fire, you are responsible for it. It must not get out of control, it must not do damage, it must not cause a nuisance.
Typically I would remove any turf, for example, before making a ground fire and replace it afterwards but apart from BCUK meets on 'permissions' I haven't done that for years.
Any fire must be thoroughy extinguished before you leave it. I usually pour waste water on it just to make sure, so I plan my pee as well as my washing.
There are many places (including places in the UK) which are accessible to the public but where ground fires are illegal full stop. There are many more places where it's illegal sometimes.
It's up to you to learn about and know the local area, ignorance is no excuse.

You don't need a great lot of it but it makes life a helluvalot easier if you have something to get the fire going well to begin with. If I'm going to make a fire I take whatever I need to start it with me.
That includes tinder, kindling, and assorted fuels such as meths, wax, petrol, rubber bands, cotton wool, polythene bags, and bits of wood I've chopped up at home.
Depending on where I'm going to be I might take all the fuel I need, but most places I go won't miss a few dry twigs found hanging in the hedgerows etc.
When you've made a fire, then you have to tend it. That's a bigger job than making it.

Be aware that in addition to causing serious fires requiring armies of firefighters, sparks from an open fire can make a real mess of synthetic fabrics really quickly.

Bow Drill:

It's a bit of fun if you're of a mind to do it but most of us wouldn't go to it first if they want to light a fire. Or light anything, in fact.
The bit of a bow drill that takes the most pounding is the cord. The pull-start cord from garden machinery typically powered by internal combustion engines is the hardest wearing stuff that I know of.
Again there's a lot of stuff about bow drill on BCUK: https://www.google.co.uk/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=oeQ4VqDjDNLH8gfo4734Dw#q=bow+drill+site:bushcraftuk.com

Axes:

In the UK I personally carry an axe very rarely. I have a saw on my Leatherman multi-tool and it's most unlikely I'll need more than that to fuel a stove or my Ghillie.

Food:

I'm a big fan of noodles, and I can have a decent meal inside me before you've got to page three of "Food for Free".
If I really had to I'd trap animals to eat, but I don't have to and likely never will. I'm more than comfortable with that.
There's a lot of fruit on trees and in hedgerows in autumn, but the rest of the year is pretty thin and it won't sustain you anyway.
If you really want food for free you're going to have to start digging, but I suppose there's a cost to that.

Noblewanderer, not knowing where you are, this may be of no use; when walking on the South West Coast Path you often come across old burn sites, which someone has used driftwood from the beach. This may not be technically legal but I've not heard of anyone getting into trouble, EXCEPT Newquay, Cornwall where you will get nicked due to idiot holidaymakers, who don't know what they're doing.....and probably drunk etc., etc..

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Noticed your post a few days ago then promptly forgot to reply.....

1. How do you locate a safe place to camp and have a fire? I know the obvious stuff about making space around the fire and above, etc, but some people say to avoid certain types of tree in case of heavy wind

Permission is probably more important first off, but as for safety - look for hanging dead branches, diseased or deformed trees (cracks, oozing sap or fungi ridden) although Beech is the species that can drop a limb from a seemingly healthy tree.

2. In wet weather what common types of tinder, kindling and main fuel should I be looking for?
To begin with, there's no shame in taking dry tinder and kindling with you as there a loads of fire-lighting techniques & methods to practice. However, natural tinder's will include Birch bark, fat-wood, pine sap - anything with a resinous or oily content that will shed water and burn furiously. Wetfire, rubber strips of inner-tube and wax impregnated fire starters can be bought or prepared ahead of time for inclement weather fire-starting.

3. I will be taking a lighter, but if I wanted to make a bow drill for fun and try and start a fire that way what types of wood can I use?
There are a few combinations of woods that work well enough as bow-drill sets, but I highly recommend you get some tuition in the method before trying it for yourself.

4. Lots of people seem to carry axes, but are you allowed to chop down trees in public access woodland?
Axes can be used for a lot more than "chopping down" trees, splitting sawn logs into fuel for one. A folding saw is probably more versatile for all manner of things but you really shouldn't be thinking to cut anything down - if there is nothing to use that is "dead-standing", then the area is probably not suitable for lots of bushy activities. Even "public access woodland" will be owned by someone, you'll need permission before doing anything.

There have been plenty of recommendations already, but you'll also need to be able to distinguish the toxic look-a-likes so you can be 100% certain before you put anything in your mouth.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Have you got a place to practice fire-starting?
I'm so awful glad that I don't need to depend on my bowdrill.
I try once a month = smoke and black powder but no coal.
I enjoy flint&steel, striker metal (welder's lighter). I guess I like sparks.

Take some reliable tinder. Seems to be the key to the rest of the fire.

Thanks everyone, that's probably the best reply I've had to a question on a forum, thorough :)

I was thinking of looking at the Forest of Bowland. Does anyone have experience there?

Any good wild camping sites I can pay at near west Yorkshire?

Really I'm wanting to start to understand my environment more and to get off the beaten track.

Any recommendations for places in West Yorkshire?

Thanks for the tips on respecting trees and dead wood.

I'm hoping the good foraging books warm you about poisonous look a likes?

gobfish1

May 3, 2009
mancherster uk
i spend a few weeks a year riding my bike along the canal,s and do lots of camping on the canal , some v nice spots can be found , and no ever bothers me ,

Armleywhite

Nomad
Apr 26, 2008
Leeds
www.motforum.com
Most healthy trees are fine to stay under afaik. However, as someone has already mentioned don't camp under Beech trees. Their grain is very short and they can drop perfectly good limbs for no apparent reason at any time.

For a good supply of tinder, I collect the lint that collects in our tumble drier. Keep it dry and it'll catch at the first spark. I also use jute rope. Cut off a small section, rub it up to break the fibres apart and it becomes a fantastic tinder to drop hot embers from a bit of char cloth into. For outdoors natural tinder, you can't beat Birch bark, imo. Even when wet I've managed to start a fire with it.

Armleywhite

Nomad
Apr 26, 2008
Leeds
www.motforum.com
Forgot to add, once you have a small light you can put a few Holly leaves on the fire to really get it going. Make sure it's dead and isn't green it will burn magnificently as it contains so much natural oils, even when it appears to have been on the ground for ages it'll burn beautifully.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Hey

So I'm just learning the basics, have been watching lots of videos and reading online. I've also been out and made a tarp shelter.

My current gear is just a knife and tarp (plus normal camping gear).

Anyhow my main questions are:

1. How do you locate a safe place to camp and have a fire? I know the obvious stuff about making space around the fire and above, etc, but some people say to avoid certain types of tree incase of heavy wind

Mentioned above, but watch for any over-head branches that may fall during the night and seriously ruin your trip. Wind and tree fall can be a major hazard in the right conditions. As to the fire make sure the area is clear, that there is nothing near to it able to lite with a tinder or spark that may come off, including tents and hanging clothing. Make sure you keep an eye on it and it should be fine.

There are lots of different types of waterproof tinder available commercially that work well, i find good well made feather-sticks, started with something such as birch bark, work very well even in the damp. Make sure your fire site is reasonably sheltered or may go out in heavy rain.

Birch, spruce, pine, many woods can work for this, Some woods such as birch i found far easier to get it smoldering than pine, but your experience may be different, i took many tries to get there too.

Coming from Scotland the laws might be different from where you are but in certain circumstances you may need a felling license to chop down live trees, there are some exemptions, see here; http://scotland.forestry.gov.uk/supporting/grants-and-regulations/felling-licences/exemptions

I wouldn't recommend taking a live tree down however.

Book wise, i found the Urban foraging guide by the Wild Food School an interesting read, available online for free here; http://www.wildfoodschool.co.uk/urban/wfsurbanguide.pdf

Thanks very much for your help.

Hope any of this helps,

Tonyuk

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Avoid beech, they have a propensity to throw branches at you. I know some are sufficiently superstitious that they don't even swear under a beech tree.

I have had success with tinder quik fire tabs. I also have no pretensions about fire lighting and last time I lit a fire in the rain, I did so by pouring meths on the kindling, and then dropping a match on it. Worked wonders.

Without permission from the owner, no. And you'd have to ask why would you need to? You can't generally burn freshly felled wood (except for ash). There is something like 11000 of us on this forum, if we all felled one tree, that would be 11000, do that once a month and we're into big numbers RSN. I don't carry an axe, but my understanding is that most people carry it for splitting wood that is already down, and for carving wood.

I recently felled my first tree with an axe recently. It made me appreciate the saw. I have felled trees upto 330mm wide using an saw, which made me really appreciate the chainsaw...

J

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE